Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 16th, 2016 07:00

Alienware x51 desktop randomly turns off then on consistently

So about a year after i got my x51 desktop it started to do this thing where it'll turn off then a few seconds later turn on by itself, about 10 sec after turning on it'll turn off again and it'll repeat this cycle until i unplug the power cord and let it sit for about an hour or so, then it'll stop doing this and work semi properly. It can start this problem at any time, sometimes immediately after and others it might take a few days or a week or so. Also before this started to happen i could play games like WoW and starcraft at max resolution with no problem, but after this happened a couple of times i had to drop the resolution down to low/medium and its not even getting 30fps. i tried to download drives for it but i wouldn't download for whatever reason, if anyone knows where i can download new drivers that would be a nice plus. I don't think its a heat problem because this can happen 5-10min after i turn it on in the morning, i also keep it on my desk in a ventilated area and i try to dust it off as frequently as possible. If anyone knows what i can do to fix this please let me know because its becoming very aggravating that i cant even play a game without having to hope this doesn't happen.

If you need any extra details please let me know and ill give all that i can

763 Posts

February 16th, 2016 17:00

It certainly sounds like a thermal problem, but it may be restarting due to a STOP error (BSOD). You would need to tell Windows to "not reboot" in the event of a STOP error so you can see if it is a BSOD. Sometimes it happens so fast it doesn't show on your screen. If you are using a television for the display, it may not have a fast enough response time to show up if it is rebooting due to a BSOD. See the attached image. Clear the checkbox option to automatically restart. You can get there by opening System in Control Panel. Click the "Settings" button in the Startup and Recovery section on the Advanced tab.

The drop in performance is further indication of possible thermal issues. If you are assuming it is not based on it only taking 5 or 10 minutes, it is a huge mistake to assume it on that basis. Overheating can happen faster than 5 or 10 minutes if the system needs cleaning or the thermal paste has failed. You need to check the temperatures using a free utility like HWiNFO64. As the CPU and/or GPU overheat they will throttle to reduce temperatures. If they continue to overheat, they may force your system to shut down to avoid damage.

If you haven't opened it up and cleaned out the inside, the CPU and GPU heat sinks might be clogged up with dust bunnies and dirt. The fans pull in garbage and debris even if the outside is kept spotless. If the temps are high and cleaning does not bring them down you may need to apply new thermal paste to the CPU and/or GPU heat sinks. Also check to be sure your fans are functioning correctly.

1488.Capture.JPG

2 Posts

February 18th, 2016 14:00

thanks alot ill try turning off the auto reset . i clean out my computer on a monthly basis and the area around it all the time, so theres not much dust.  i also downloaded that program and my processors average out at about 100-110 Farenheit, except for 1 of the processors said it was at  140 farenheit. im guessing that one at 140 is overheating compared to the others(would you like me to screenshot the report for you?) i might have to apply new thermal paste, and how do i check if the fans are running correctly? thanks alot for you help i really appreciate it.

763 Posts

February 19th, 2016 21:00

When the temperatures are up the fans should spin up. Just be sure the CPU and GPU fans are working. If they are not spinning or only spinning slowly then you will know there is an issue. 

No Events found!