Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 22nd, 2013 01:00

Alienware x51 just has a dim light

I have just recently gotten my first gaming Pc a manufacture refurbished x51, it arrived on wednesday and strait out of the box it didn't work, I had to connect my Hdmi cable to the graphics card and uninstall and reinstall the Ao for it to work, then only a couple of days later it, for no reason what so ever decided not to work, the only thing that happens when I power it on is the fan speeds up and a fait light turns on for the power. I have tried every thing I can think of and it still doesn't work. Worst of all because I bought it off ebay the warranty only extends the the United States (I live in Australia). So I probably have to just send it back to the seller to make sure I get my money back.

Thanks The1astReaper

2K Posts

April 22nd, 2013 06:00

Hi The1astReaper,

It is unfortunate that the out of the box computer doesn’t display anything. Request you to follow the below steps:

(1) Turn off the computer.

(2) Remove all the external peripherals like AC Adaptor, battery, flash drives, etc.

(3) Press and hold the power button for 30sec. It releases the static on the computer(if any)

Check if the same issue happens.

Also let me know if you get any beep codes and what color light does the power button show?

April 22nd, 2013 16:00

Yes I tried this and it still doesn't turn on. The power button is white, and it isn't beeping

2K Posts

April 23rd, 2013 11:00

Hi The1astReaper,

The solid white power light indicates the computer is turned on. Request you to remove the monitor cable from behind the monitor, colored lines will be displayed. If this gets displayed then the monitor is working fine and the motherboard/video card might have failed. If the monitor doesn’t display colored lines then the monitor might have failed.

835 Posts

April 23rd, 2013 16:00

I have just recently gotten my first gaming Pc a manufacture refurbished x51, it arrived on wednesday and strait out of the box it didn't work, I had to connect my Hdmi cable to the graphics card and uninstall and reinstall the Ao for it to work, then only a couple of days later it, for no reason what so ever decided not to work, the only thing that happens when I power it on is the fan speeds up and a fait light turns on for the power. I have tried every thing I can think of and it still doesn't work. Worst of all because I bought it off ebay the warranty only extends the the United States (I live in Australia). So I probably have to just send it back to the seller to make sure I get my money back.

Thanks The1astReaper

Did you try a different monitor?

What is the resolution of the monitor that you are trying to use?

April 24th, 2013 00:00

I am using a T.V nothing except a "check systems (the computer) power" message, its not the T.V it is the machine.

April 24th, 2013 00:00

can someone please explain to me why everyone asks me about the monitor, yes I have tried a different monitor. But how does that have anything to do with the only light on the machine that is working being the power one, and to answer your next question the color of the power button is white. I can't see how the monitor I use has anything to do with only a light and a fan working?!

835 Posts

April 24th, 2013 08:00

If the system is powering on (fans and a light) it means that the system is not showing video, and that could be caused by a few different things, for example, if the monitor or TV that you are using has a higher resolution than 1080p and you are connecting it via HDMI, it will not show image because that port is limited to 1080p, and if that's the case, you should try connecting the monitor to the display port,

We ask questions because it's the only way of figuring out what the problem is in order to help you out, I understand that sometimes questions don't seem related to the issue that you are experiencing, but sometimes the issue is not what you think, and we want to start by ruling out the easy and fixable things first.

April 24th, 2013 17:00

My dad and I have been working to try and fix it with dell Australia and they think its the graphics card, they are sending around a technician.

No Events found!