Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 2nd, 2017 20:00

Alienware x51 r1 - Will not detect graphics card.

Alienware x51 r1 

So my gtx660 graphics card stopped working. No video so I have to use my HDMI port to operate PC

I figured it died so I bought a BRAND NEW graphics card (EVGA 1050 ti sc) and popped it in. Same issue. Strange thing though, I can still get video through my GPU DVI-D port, but it is no where near the quality it should be (can't game or anything of the sort).

Also, my PC will not let me install drivers for the new GPU card, and it won't recognize either card when I have them installed.

What I have tried:

Disabling my Intel 4000 integrated card in device manager and rebooting to see if it would install.

Restarted, switched bios from discrete to igfx and back and forth and back and forth.

My BIOS is current (A14) and has been that was for months before this issue.

Downloading the drivers and installing them (also trying through GeForce Experience)

specs: 

Alienware x51 r1

1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (the old video card)

memory: 8GB (2 X 4GB) Dual Channel DDR 3 up to 1600MHz

Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz (8MB Cache) with Hyper-Threading a nd Turbo Boost Technology 2.0

I just cannot figure out what is going on.

1 Message

December 28th, 2017 10:00

I am having the same issue, the x51 is not detecting the Geforce GTX 660 card anymore. It worked fine until a few weeks ago when I started it up and had a black screen. When I switched the HDMI cable to use the integrated graphics, I got the Windows Log-in screen to come up so it booted up just fine, just isn't detecting the GTX660 card. 

I completely cleaned the PC, cleared out all the dust and popped the card in and out, which seemed to seemed to fix the issue until I had to restart. Once I restarted, it wouldn't detect the card again. 

I popped the card into another PC just to rule out the card went bad, and it worked just fine after multiple reboots - so the card is ok. I also tried toggling the BIOS setting to the integrated graphics and back to discrete without any success. 

I don't want to waste money and purchase another video card like the person above did only to find the new card has the same issue, plus I verified the GTX660 works fine when I used it on another PC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Below are my specs. 

Alienware X51 

BIOS Version: A14
BIOS Date: 11/4/2013

Processor: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz (8MB Cache) with Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost Technology 2.0

Memory: 16GB (2 X 8GB) Dual Channel DD R3 up to 1600MHz

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home

No Events found!