Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 12th, 2015 14:00

Alienware x51 won't get past boot and won't allow to install windows 8 Need serious help quick

I have had my Alienware x51 for 3 years and decided it needed a full system restart (back to factory settings) and then it said it had encountered an error so I turned the computer off and then it started a screen telling me I can troubleshoot which allows me to refresh my PC and also allowed me to reset my PC. I tried both and none worked. So then I inserted the windows 8 recovery media for windows 8 products 64-bit cd that came with the computer. Which loaded up and told me what language etc etc and then asked me to install so I clicked install and it asks me for a windows 8 key I don't believe I was ever given a key. It also says I can repair my computer which brings me back to the troubleshoot and both don't work again please help.

4 Posts

No both have not worked so any idea on what to do?

727 Posts

The key is in the computer, so you would have to search for the key first before installing. Of course, now's a bit late. I think you can type in a generic key and then search for your real key later, but I don't know if that'll work.

I'm guessing if the reset and the refresh commands didn't work, then there may be a problem with your recovery partition. 

4 Posts

April 13th, 2015 10:00

I don't know about the generic key for windows 8 does it affect anything? And is this the only way?

4 Posts

April 13th, 2015 17:00

hi i used the windows 8 recover media disk which came with the computer which had windows 8 on it already. now the issue is that i have gotten a generic key for windows 8 and can now atleast use windows 8 then i searched up a way to find my windows 8 key and it involves notepad and commands when i saved it a key popped up the issue know is that the key doesnt actually work and says its an invalid key and cannot find it. also when i used the generic key it told me my windows file already on the hard drive (but i couldnt launch windows without it saying im locked out or errors and aslo asking me for a key) will be changed to window.old and will not be able to be used again. please help.

86 Posts

April 13th, 2015 17:00

Download Windows 8.1 "Edition" with Update 1 installation media. Only the correct "Edition" will work with your UEFI BIOS Embedded System Locked Preinstallation Key. The incorrect "Edition" will prompt for a product key. Inputting a generic key with the wrong edition will only lead to product activation issues later down the line.

Generic keys were only useful when Windows 8.1 "Edition A" media was used to install with a Windows 8 "Edition A" key. Microsoft have rectified this mistake in the Windows 8.1 "Edition A" with Update 1 media.

See here for details:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/download-windows-8-1-retail-and-oem-iso/

"Editions" possible with Alienware systems are:

• Windows 8.1 = Windows 8 (updated media)
  • Windows 8.1 Single Language = Windows 8 Single Language (updated media)
  • Windows 8.1 Pro = Windows 8 Pro (updated media)
  • Windows 8.1N = Windows 8N (updated media)
  • Windows 8.1 ProN = Windows 8 ProN (updated media)

No Alienware comes with Bing Editions.

86 Posts

April 14th, 2015 00:00

Read my post above ↑.

No Events found!