Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 6th, 2011 00:00

Almost every M17xR3 use SATA III 6Gb/s SSD in HDD port 0 have error,Can not stable run in SATA III 6Gb/s.

Hi, 

I am an m17x R3 owner and use 2 OCZ Vertex 3 120gb SATA III 6Gb/s SSDs in both my hard disk. But  the HDD port 0 interface sometime run in the SATA II 3Gb/s .

I have try the Bios hard disk mode in IDE ACHI and RAID ,also try WIN7,Server 2008 and Linux,even I only put one disk in HDD port 0.it's the same,the HDD port 0 run in SATA II 3Gb/s ,and the HDD port 1 run in SATA III 6Gb/s.

At last ,I fount In the m17x R3 .When The hard disk transfer rates higher than 3G/s.The HDD port 0 will go down run in the SATA II 3Gb/s from SATA III 6Gb/s.

Almost everyone found this issue when they use SATA III 6Gb/s SSD in M17xR3 

And I flash the newest A07 BIOS. This problem is still not resolved.

Could DELL please look into this ? It's not just me a lot of owners are reporting this. 

7 Posts

August 6th, 2011 07:00

Hi,

The same problem for the alienware m14x.

M14x has sata III on board, but is does not work correctly with 6 Gbps protocol of sata III. So if you buy a sataIII SSD (vertex 3, intel, crucial) then you don't get that high speeds. Also you will see faults (bsods, stuttering) and problems with cold (and sometimes warm) boot from the laptop as long dell/alienware does not bring out a better firmware for this laptop. Bios A01 and bios A03 does not tackle the problem. Dell/Alienware do know this problems and we have to wait for the next firmware (also see the forums ocz, corsair, crucial, intel with information on this problem with sataIII-SSD and alienware M14x).

I hope DELL will manage this problem, because a lot of people has this issue.

7 Posts

August 10th, 2011 13:00

Hi,

With the new firmware A04 for the alienware M14x is this problem NOT fixed.

DELL engineering... you have to fix a great problem for many customers of the M14x and M17xr3.

We are waiting (see the many problems with this problem on forum ocz, crucial, intel, etc.).

Please fix this to get the advertised sataIII capabilities.

With regards.

No Events found!