Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

February 10th, 2015 23:00

Alpha Graphics Driver Update

So I think the latest graphics driver is built into the Alpha UI Version 2.x from late November, however I have uninstalled the Alpha UI as I didn't like it (Love the computer though).  So I go to Dell's Support Page for Alpha and the only drivers they have listed are the old ones (basically the A00 versions) that came with the computer.  Is there another way to get the NVidia driver?  Thanks!

671 Posts

February 11th, 2015 11:00

Since the Alpha's GPU is a custom 750 GTX, the only driver that's officially supported is on the website.

The only other driver is still in beta testing and is not yet ready of public release.

If you are facing problems with the Alpha Console and it's video display I can get you the beta driver.

1 Message

February 28th, 2015 22:00

Could you just show us the link for the beta driver? We are desperately waiting for the fxxking new driver for new games! 

2.3K Posts

March 1st, 2015 13:00

If you use the Alpha UI, make sure its fully up to date and the 344.x driver will install from that.  The 344.x driver is the latest driver that Dell offers.  Unfortunately however they do not provide this driver on the Support site.

5 Posts

March 2nd, 2015 03:00

I too fell into this trap.  Unfortunately you need to keep the Alpha UI to get the updates.  However a good solution is to change the settings to stop your Alpha always booting into the Alpha UI.  This means that you can switch to the Alpha UI to do updates, but at all other times it will boot into your Windows account giving you very fast boot up times.

It's very easy to do this:

- Open up a Run (command) window by holding the Windows key and tap R

- In the Run box type:  netplwiz

- This opens a User Accounts settings window.  Check the "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer" checkbox.

- Click OK.

Once you have done the above your alpha will boot like a normal Windows PC, so you can choose which user account to log in to, and it will default to the last one used.  The boot up time is much faster, but it will require you to enter your password like a normal Windows PC.

The only issue I have found with this is that after a Windows update the controller stops working.  I suspect that this is because Windows does a full shutdown and restart after updating rather than using the fast boot that it normally does.  All you need to do if this happens is to log into the Alpha UI again, then log out and back into your Windows account.  This will fix it until the next Windows update in which case you just need to do the same again!

I hope this helps.

2.3K Posts

March 2nd, 2015 10:00

Awesome! thanks for the tip!

No Events found!