Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 25th, 2010 04:00

Antivirus and Alienware

After such a large investment I'd like my computer primarily to be secure.

My last machine and my netbook both ran Trend Micro software and before that I had Norton (2005) but that became such a clunker of a program I gave up on Norton.

I recently had to upgrade the Antivirus on my partners machine and since it's had Trend Micro on it as well I got Trend Micro Titanium 2011.

The Alienware came preinstalled with a 18 months subscription to mcAfee.

So I have a choice between the two or I can essentially go for something else since security is priority number 1.  However, I did some research and Norton came out on top in 2 occasions, McAfee was down the bottom and Trend Micro didn't far much better.  Of all the review sites I have noticed there is great variability in what they recommend (and I also noticed some of the sites that rated a particular program highly also had special deals for such products so I wonder if there is some affiliation).

What do you guys reckon?  Which would you recommend and why?

38 Posts

October 25th, 2010 05:00

Re: Antivirus and Alienware

38 Posts

October 25th, 2010 05:00

I removed McAfee Security Centre after having problems with it constantly switching off its firewall. When I did remove it, it promptly damaged the MBR of the machine and I ended up rebuilding from scratch, so beware. I now use Comodo Internet Security, which has a high rating, and which is also free! It seems to work as well as any of the paid for programmes, so is definitely worth a try.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 25th, 2010 12:00

I use and recommend Microsoft Security Essentials.

It's free, and it works. It also does Anti-SpyWare and works with the built-in Windows Firewall. Then, you put your network behind a router with NAT and SPI firewall and you are protected many different ways.

2.4K Posts

October 25th, 2010 12:00

I use and recommend Microsoft Security Essentials.

It's free, and it works. It also does Anti-SpyWare and works with the built-in Windows Firewall. Then, you put your network behind a router with NAT and SPI firewall and you are protected many different ways.

This^ is exactly how I have mine setup. MSE, Windows 7 and Router Firewall.  Gotta love Windows 7 having a real firewall this time around:) You can also download Windows 7 Firewall Control for free. It makes it easier to control programs access to the internet. Windows 7 firewall can be a little complicated to understand and control so this makes it very simple. http://download.cnet.com/Windows-7-Firewall-Control/3000-10435_4-10618117.html

I was at CompUSA yesterday and this poor woman was paying $180 for them to install Norton on her computer. I almost said something but didn't want to get kicked out of the store. The days of buying virus protection and firewalls for a PC are over it's just going to take time for word to get around.

40 Posts

October 25th, 2010 13:00

I 2nd  using Microsoft Security Essentials.

Also, take a look at Hitman Pro in addition.

129 Posts

October 25th, 2010 17:00

Ok thanks guys.

I'll look into it.  Have never delved much into the hardware settings of the router (it's not my best suit in computer hardware).  If anyone has a link about how to set this up I'd appreciate it although I can probably find the info later (I have a Belkin "Play" Wireless N+ 150/300 dual band ADSL 2+ Modem/Router).

Thanks and hope everyone has a good day.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 25th, 2010 18:00

Yes, just read through the router's manual.

Most routers default to having the Firewall part turned on by default (but it doesn't hurt to check). For the wireless part be sure to enable wireless security on the connections. There is lots of info on the net on how to do that. Basically, it comes down to setting an encrypted password on the connections. I recommend that the encryption type be as strong as you can get working between the devices (WPA Personal is usually fine for homes). Use a good alpha-numeric password.

No Events found!