Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 10th, 2010 14:00

Area 51 ALX fans positions

Hi, i am wondering if positioning the two 120mm that is mounted on the grill as an intake would perform a better cooling than outtake

2.4K Posts

November 11th, 2010 04:00

This is how I have mine.

3124.Air Flow Diagram.png

145 Posts

November 11th, 2010 06:00

I tried the exact positioning. However, when a technician came and replaced my fins he made a comment about that. He said "the rear exhaust fan will blow hot air out and hot air raises so when the warm air raises the two 120mm that is on the grill will suck back all the warm air back into the computer case. And the cycle will continue."

2.4K Posts

November 11th, 2010 11:00

I tried the exact positioning. However, when a technician came and replaced my fins he made a comment about that. He said "the rear exhaust fan will blow hot air out and hot air raises so when the warm air raises the two 120mm that is on the grill will suck back all the warm air back into the computer case. And the cycle will continue."

Sure and with that logic the stock fan setup would have the cards and PSU blow hot air out the back. It will rise up to the vent where the CPU fan will suck it back into the system and out the top through the rad. 

I'v tried a few ways and this is by far the best setup. I run a good 10c colder then the stock and with a higher CPU clock. Even my case temps are much lower then stock. Others have also reversed the CPU fan and have seen a drop in temps. Try it yourself and see.

145 Posts

November 11th, 2010 15:00

This is how I have mine.

3124.Air Flow Diagram.png

Yep morblore, I agree with you this is the best set up that you can possibly gets. After trying various of ways this is the best my temps are ...... {35,37,35,37} <==  is this the temperature that you are getting??

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 11th, 2010 18:00

Morblore,

How does your setup differ from the way we shipped it?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 11th, 2010 19:00

I have my setup the exact same way morblore has his (great minds think alike )

Looks right to me.

My Aurora came setup like this from the factory. Cool air comes in from the front and top. Hot air is exhausted out the back.  There is one small fan at the top, but the whole top is basically open (mesh of holes).

265 Posts

I have my setup the exact same way morblore has his (great minds think alike )

The stock Area 51 has the radiator fan sucking hot air from inside the case, and blowing it out from up top, and the mounting points for the other 2 120MM fans up top are actually blocked off by a black piece of plastic, completely cutting off airflow.

And not to mention, there is not even an exhaust fan on the rear of the case. I added mine to it to blow the hot air coming in from the radiator straight out the back of the case.

Basically, Dell didnt bother to put enough fans into the case. But that was easily corrected.

265 Posts

Yea, but see, our Area 51's actually have no air coming in from the top, as a factory setup. We had the whole top sealed off with a black piece of plastic to cover the vents, and only the radiator had room to breathe from the top, but that was to exhaust air out. I reversed the fan myself to make it more efficient. Plus I added the extra 2 120mm fans up top after removing the black plastic so the system can breathe easier.

And of course, the exhaust fan I added as well. I mean really, what system ships without an exhaust fan nowadays? Even barebone cases have then preinstalled.

145 Posts

November 11th, 2010 20:00

Are there any more adjustment that can do to make the temperature inside the case cooler, or is the best that will get?

2.4K Posts

November 12th, 2010 01:00

Are there any more adjustment that can do to make the temperature inside the case cooler, or is the best that will get?

You can add one more fan to the bottom inside the case in the front of the intake vent.  Make sure it is another 150 CFM fan to match the PCI fans CFM.

2.4K Posts

November 12th, 2010 01:00

Morblore,

How does your setup differ from the way we shipped it?

Stock Airflow. Click to make larger.

2061.Stock Airflow.png

8 Posts

November 13th, 2010 08:00

I have copied your configuration for improved airflow morblore, and I must say its my temps have gone down quite a bit.

Although I don't get how I can reverse the CPU cooler, in order to get air in, instead of out.

Could someone please explain me how to do this?

Pictures to illustrate  would be very welcome!

14 Posts

December 8th, 2010 20:00

-EDITED-

I have recently preformed this modification and honestly I see little to no difference. Even though the temperature sensors in the new i7 32nm are known to be inaccurate, you should still be able to see a difference seeing that my high and low are pretty consistent.

I used Core temp 0.99.7 to test. I have a 92mm fan placed on the back of the case and set on high for both of the tests and the PCI and HDD fans set to auto.  

I started my computer cold, turned on Core Temp and surfed the Internet for 15 min. I reset Core temp's High/Low after the PC was warmed up, played Need For Speed Hot Pursuit for 20 min and than ran 3DMark11's Extreme benchmark setting. I shut down my PC, switched the fan, went to bed and recreated the test the next day. The ambient temp both days was 23c.

Here is a screen shot of the CPU fan blowing out (stock) taken closely after the 3DMark11 benchmark:

1460.FanAirOutNFSHPand3DMark11.PNG

Here is a screenshot of the CPU fan blowing in (reversed) taken about 20 minutes after 3DMark11 benchmark (hence the lower current temps):

3247.new in.PNG

7 Posts

December 8th, 2010 20:00

Remove the radiator and fan shroud assembly. Remove the radiator. You need to use a phillips screwdriver and remove the fan from the aluminum housing. You will need to unbolt the fan and flip it upside down, then screw it back in. The factory setup has the completely open fan blades facing down, you will want those open blade side of the 120MM fan to be facing the top. Open fan blades = air going in, back of the fan with the post= air going out.

2626.120mm.jpg

This side up towards the top of the case.

3 Posts

April 29th, 2011 14:00

i just did this, this morning, even on the level one preset overclock settings in the bios (which increased the temps 2 degrees celsius on all 4 cores from complete out of box status) by flipping the one fan over and adding just the 2 to the top (i didnt have a spare smaller one to fit in the back) it dropped the temps by 11 degrees celsius while being slightly overclocked and thats with the ambient temps being about 13o farenheit warmer than it was when i took the base temps last night, i would have to say thanks it was the easiest hour mod i have ever done with such an impact

No Events found!