Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 16th, 2012 19:00

Area 51 ALX long POST time on powerup

Everything about my Alienware Area-51 ALX is fantastic, but there is one thing I'm wondering about:

The Power-On Self Test (POST) that you get when you turn the machine on takes anywhere from 70 seconds to 2 minutes.  Typically it's 75-80 seconds.  What it will do is spend about 35-40 seconds with the blue bar (bootup meter under the startup wallpaper) at 25%, then ramp quickly up to 75% and hang there for half a minute or more before reaching the "Starting Windows" screen.

I'm wondering if that's normal or if there's something I need to examine in the BIOS to correct the long power-up time; once the POST is complete everything is fast as lightning.

I'm using BIOS Revision A11, released 8/15/2011 and I don't see any "Quick Boot" options, so I've set it such that the hard drive is the only boot device and not to try to boot off of anything else.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. :)

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 16th, 2012 21:00

MXOWinterMute

The best forum to post this in, is the Alienware Owners Club, I am moving the thread to it.

Bev.

1 Rookie

• 

67 Posts

October 17th, 2012 06:00

Thanks Bev!  I'm not as good at navigating the forums as I used to be.  With luck someone in the Alienware club will at least tell me what their POST times are, if nothing else. :)

I appreciate the help.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 17th, 2012 09:00

MXOWinterMute

Happy to have helped and welcome to the Alienware Club.

Bev.

1 Rookie

• 

67 Posts

November 2nd, 2012 12:00

Guess this question just got dumped in a hole. :-/

90 Posts

November 2nd, 2012 14:00

That is about the same POST startup time as mine.  I'm running 2 videocards, 1 sound card, and 6 drives on the onboard raid controller.

When I was having problem with BSOD on video card if I restarted it too soon it would hang forever at the 75%.  so that part might be where it is talking on the PCI bus to see what is there.

Short answer. that post time seems normal to me.

2.4K Posts

November 2nd, 2012 16:00

Mine takes about 45sec to boot the BIOS and another 11sec to boot into windows. Yours seems to take a little longer then mine but mine stops at 25% just like yours.

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

May 17th, 2013 01:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                              

No Events found!