Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 8th, 2015 14:00

Area 51 ALX restoration

Hi guys. I need some help please.

In 2011 I bought an Area 51 ALX chassis (the Dell one with the front motorised panel). In 2012 I fitted a cable extension to the 24 pin that was incorrectly wired up and it burnt three connectors at the PSU end. I managed to fix it by using three 12v wires from the PCIE connectors and all was well until a few months ago when the PSU died completely.

I found a couple of pics of the 10 pin connector on the IO board on these forums and with those I managed to make a custom plug that bridges between the 24 pin and feeds the 10 pin connector so the IO board works. And it works fine in testing.

However, I am just about to finish the build off and I can't remember the colours of the front panel connectors. So without them I can't power it on using the power button. Can any one please tell me what they are?

TIA

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

June 8th, 2015 15:00

(+)pwr_led(-)  pwr_sw  X
red         org    tan   blk

blk           tan  X   X   X
(+)hdd_led(-)  reset

DSC02201.JPG

my new camera *** on close-ups, let me know if this panned out

9.16.15 photo edit

JFP1 - Copy.jpg

AfterMarket Mthrbrd like Asus using a 10x10 Layout

fp1.jpg

dupont 10p.JPG

use a 10x10 Dupont Connector like above

or 2pin Dupont Connectors like below

3513_s-l1600_jpg-550x0_jpg-550x0.jpg

klengen_jpg-550x0.jpg

use them with your Q-Connector Adaptor like above

Panel (1).jpg

use a needle to lift the plastic lock-tang & back your pin(out) if you have to rewire your front panel

last resort? reuse your 5x5 connect (above) & buy another 5x5 usb-type connect (below)

4621.Capture1.JPG

two 5x5's will rest in the Asus 10x10 header just fine (two 5x5's = one 10x10)

June 8th, 2015 17:00

So the power button is orange and black?

Thanks for your helpful post :)

June 8th, 2015 18:00

You're a star, thank you :)

I'm not so fussed about the power LED as it's just the white one around the power button but yay, I'll be able to complete this now :)

I'll post up some photos when I'm done :)

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

June 8th, 2015 18:00

blak tan ... my desk lamp lightbulb burned out, I couldn't see, mistook tan for orange in the photo, sorry. you have a pair of tan/blk, only one red/org, jeepers kreepers

June 9th, 2015 09:00

I also have an orange and yellow wire. Not sure what they are for tbh. I wish I'd have kept the little list I wrote out a couple of years back. Any way, as promised here are some pics.

I bought a set of braided extensions (Gelid) back in 2012 and the 24 pin was wired up incorrectly. This ended up with the PSU connector becoming burnt and, inevitably made the PSU itself fail.

So I found these pics on this forum.

Then I bought a 24 pin extension and bridged the wires from that for the 10 pin.

And connected it up to my Corsair RM 750 and used the paper clip trick to get the rig powered on.

And everything sprang to life ! so now I am working away on tidying up the inside. Here is the 120mm PCI fan duct modded to take a H55 which is connected to a GTX Titan Black.

Since taking that pic I have fitted some plastic trunking to hide the wires that run up for the front, roof motor etc. I've also began making an intake duct for the front.

And here is the roof assembly. H55 again (I have a 60w 8 core Ivybridge Xeon) and an exhaust fan, both are Noiseblockers :)

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

June 9th, 2015 17:00

post a photo here of the unidentified wires in qwestion & where they appear to emanate from, is your front panel connexion now 'restored', & thumb's up to your modding skillz

June 12th, 2015 17:00

Sadly I don't think I am out of the woods just yet. It seems there are two tan coloured wires and two blacks.

Can any one get me a clearer pic of the plug please? no disrespect but the one posted already isn't very clear.

I'm terrified of blowing something up :(

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

June 12th, 2015 17:00

8080.DSC02070.JPG

(+)pwr_led(-)  pwr_sw  X

red         org    tan   blk  X

blk           tan   X   X   X

(+)hdd_led(-)  reset X

the 'missing tan wire' in the bottom row photos is shown below (black then tan & three empty)

1030.header - Copy.jpg

No Events found!