Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 13th, 2012 03:00

Area 51 Windows 7 will not launch after BSOD

System will boot to Windows options: system repair or start normally

If I select start normally, Windows logo appears, system seems to load configuration files, then BSOD.  System reboots to system repair or start normally.

If I select system repair, the repair options menu does not appear.

Whether using system repair disk or Windows 7 64 bit installation disk, system repair option does not load system repair menu options.

Any suggestions as to what to do next?  Added no new software or hardware.  Last week updated nvidia driver for GTX295, but that has not caused me grief.  System has been stable and reliable for two plus years.

61 Posts

October 16th, 2012 13:00

This message is posted from my fully restored machine!

From the time FEDEX put the box into my hands to the first keystroke of this message was about 2 hours 10 minutes.

My advice to everyone:  IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY DONE SO, TAKE THE TIME TO CREATE A FULL SYSTEM IMAGE.

Had I not done so, I'd be reinstalling software until very, very late tonight.  I know . . . from painful experience.

I did renew my extended warranty.  Rather expensive.  But, as this crash proved, well worth the price!

May start another thread asking for help with respect to mouse freezing/stuttering.

61 Posts

October 13th, 2012 10:00

Finally figured out how to stop system from rebooting after the crash when trying to launch Windows normally.  Error is UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME.

Pre-boot Assessment Diagnostic confirms bad hard disk drive with error code 2000-0141, HD0 self test unsucessful, with status code 79.

61 Posts

October 15th, 2012 11:00

Rather curious about the lack of interest in my thread.  Oh, wael.

Replacement HD should arrive tomorrow (16 Oct 2012) or the following day.

Will post my installation experience for those customers who might learn from my semi-bad/semi-good experience with Dell outsourced technical support..

Language seems to me to be the big problem.  Between my hearing loss due to years working on military flightlines with fighter aircraft which frequently caused me to ask, "Did you ask me a question?"

The last contracted outsourced Dell technician offered to call me once I received the replacement HD to help with installation, particularly  drivers.  Told him I would call, should I need help . . . which I may well need.

Will probably renew extended warranty.  Despite language problems with outsourced Dell technical support, irritation via language competency is my only real complaint.  The only result i care about is the one that corrects my problem with minimal data loss.

First attempt upon receipt and mounting of the new Hard Drive will be to re-install system via a system image.

After that, from backup files, and after that, you tell me, if you care to share.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 15th, 2012 12:00

Rather curious about the lack of interest in my thread.  Oh, wael.

Replacement HD should arrive tomorrow (16 Oct 2012) or the following day.

Corrupt files or harddrive failure would be at the top of my list as well. You can always drop in a spare drive and test.

I didn't post because it sounded like you were already on the right track.

Yes, smart of you to have an Image ... might as well use it.

Doesn't sound like you need to re-build from scratch, but if you want to:

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19376654/19866250.aspx#19866250

61 Posts

October 15th, 2012 23:00

Thanks, Tesla!

Replacement HD should be delivered by 3pm today via Fedex.  This alone justifies renewing my extended warranty!  Called in my problem over the weekend with my troubleshooting results and on the second work day part is delivered!

I could probably avoid a lot of aggravation by requesting a technician to do the HD and software installation, but then, looking over his/her shoulder, I would not thoroughly understand the problem nor the fix.

This was the first BSOD I've seen since receiving the machine.  Thankfully, it came 62 days before the expiration of my extended warranty.  Right after posting this reply I'm renewing!

During the troubleshooting phase there were several surprises when software did not offer expected "repair" or installation options.  Probably because target drive was not mountable.  Did not have a spare HD (one without data I was willing to risk losing) to test.

I think my experience as I go through the reinstallation might be helpful to others who visit this forum.  And. I might need help/advice.

Thanks ever so much for your reply!

2.4K Posts

October 15th, 2012 23:00

Thanks, Tesla!

Replacement HD should be delivered by 3pm today via Fedex.  This alone justifies renewing my extended warranty!  Called in my problem over the weekend with my troubleshooting results and on the second work day part is delivered!

I could probably avoid a lot of aggravation by requesting a technician to do the HD and software installation, but then, looking over his/her shoulder, I would not thoroughly understand the problem nor the fix.

This was the first BSOD I've seen since receiving the machine.  Thankfully, it came 62 days before the expiration of my extended warranty.  Right after posting this reply I'm renewing!

During the troubleshooting phase there were several surprises when software did not offer expected "repair" or installation options.  Probably because target drive was not mountable.  Did not have a spare HD (one without data I was willing to risk losing) to test.

I think my experience as I go through the reinstallation might be helpful to others who visit this forum.  And. I might need help/advice.

Thanks ever so much for your reply!

I buy Dell's for the warranty. Buying the extended is a good call 

207 Posts

May 31st, 2013 09:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with the same or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                                                                                                                      

No Events found!