Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 10th, 2016 16:00

Area51-R2, random freezing issue while playing games +30 minutes

I checked internet and many people experienced these at alienware x51 r2 serious. I have done everything that dell support said me to do; and still I have this non-sense freezing issue at my new desktop starting from 2nd week after I got my desktop ( which I paied £2500 for it ). I made ticket to dell support and still noone helps me. If you don't believe me come and connect my desktop with teamviewer and see yourself too DELL SUPPORT. When I play a game more than 30 minutes or 60 minutes I am experiencing this freezing issue and speaker voice is cutting down and weird noises and all computer freezing and I cannot use anything. This issue happens when I watch tv series or when I do my robotic projects on my computer etc. Please would you help me to fix this problem ? I am really regretting to buy and pay £2500 for alienware desktop :( My alienware 18 laptop was much better than this alienware x51 r2 desktop really which I used for 4 years without any problem ( only 1 time I repaired my alienware laptop before which dell was given me a totally new one and all my problems were fixed while I was in Turkey ). I came to England now for my master degree on artificial intelligence and robotics and I will stay in England 3 years at least too so I wanted to buy a cool desktop to myself but I have this issue more than +1.5 months and even dell support doesn't help me at all. How can I send back this desktop to you and get a working one without any problems ? thank you.

These are the links below that other people experienced the same things like me and right now I experience the same things too non stop. I found the main problem after a long time. Hard driver/disk usage reaches to %100 while I am playing a game or do sth else for a long time that this freezing thing appears instantly always. I want to share some vidoe links and screenshots:
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/796x448q90/r/922/dncRWC.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/796x448q90/r/923/NDgfhF.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/796x448q90/r/922/ViE1HG.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/252x448q90/r/922/v3RVDL.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/796x448q90/r/924/KZKMFe.jpg

Videos how is this freezing thing starts while playing a game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGQaWJiGC6w&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT9hbBz-i1w

After this freezing thing, it makes me to for force restart via power button but then my computer freezes for another 2-3 times again like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ge0uXpTRNU

but in the meantime, the diagnosis saying me there is no problem at all.
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/796x448q90/r/924/yhJIV5.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/796x448q90/r/921/eYuG0m.jpg

Even the diagnosis from dell website says there is no problem too.

To try to solve this, I re-installed the whole windows 10 from zero after cleaning and deleting the whole things in the computer. Then I updated all drivers, bios and so many things but still nothing changed or fixed. I even tried all tutorials from internet but they didn't help me too at all. I reported this issue with support ticket then with my friend we called the support with phone too. Even they see this problem by themself too and I even show the all proofs. Dell still saying me that " We will try to solve this issue ourself, we cannot give you a total new desktop instantly. We need to follow the procedure". I have warranty already. And this issue started the 2nd week after I got the desktop and then I reported this issue starting from the 2nd week until now and still I do for +1.5 months already and still continues. I really didn't understand this dell support help in England.

The dell in Turkey helped me much faster than Dell UK once I had a problem with my 4 years old alienware 18 laptop and they came to our house and give a look and instantly took my laptop and then gave me a new laptop in a short time. But in Dell UK, even thy see the problem themself, thy cause a lot of works to you " not wanting to give a new desktop for their defective computer ". I really don't know what to do but still me and my friend try to get some help from the support. At the end I found the main reason now for this freezing things. HARD DRIVE/DISK %100 USAGE. The disk suddenly make itself to %100 usage for no reason too. This made me this conclusion that the hard drive they gave me is defective by dell. Who can help me to solve this issue please ? what do I need to do now? Thank you very much for your replies here.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 10th, 2016 19:00

1. Is it still under Dell warranty contract?

2. Are you really just looking for some resolution from Dell only?

3. Does is pass BIOS-based UEFI Diagnostics.

11 Posts

December 11th, 2016 03:00

1) Yes, I still have warranty.

2) What else I can do if I cannot get solutions from dell ? I tried everything but my computer is freezing non stop when I play a game generally :( I didn't have this issue at my 4 years old  alienware 18 laptop.

3) I tried all kind of diagnostics and thy say there is no problem on my computer; but then why I am experiencing this freezing issue non-stop ? I checked this issue on google and many alienware users had or have this issue. They mainly fixed this issue by replacing the whole computer by dell :(

I will go for live chat support this time. When I called them we said me to re-installed the whole windows and delete everything. I did it but still I have the same issue... Dell sent me a defected £2500 Alienware x51 R2 desktop... That makes me ***; and I want a replacement for a working desktop now really :(.

I paid £2500 and I have this issue starting from 2nd week and still have it for +1.5 months too. I am in the university as an international student so this is my only computer too. I hope that they replace and give me the new one as soon as possible. I am really *** right now :(.  If you want you or dell support can check my computer with teamviewer and you will see this freezing issue with your own eyes too.

1.2K Posts

December 11th, 2016 07:00

well lets get this straight first.. its not an X51.. the X51 was a small form factor system a little bigger then an Xbox... and if you just purchased as your other threads state as well, its an Area 51  R2 (triangle looking thing)  X51 R2 is over 2 years ago..

most what you posted for links its completely different systems then yours .. but a good baseline..

in my honest opinion tho i would have pushed to replace the system instantly  as faulty systems happen .. i paid 41k for my SUV.. it lived in the  Chrysler garage more then my driveway, bought a 500.00  car and drove it till wife crashed it..  so stating price means nothing to me...

anyway, have you checked temps.. just before the crash ...  connections inside? making sure nothing got bounced loose.. (heat related can cause loss of contact)   windows event viewer to see if anything  is popping up ... since this can be faulty PSU, motherboard , video, ram   etc...  

you can also try  removing ram trying in different slots.. and/or 1 stick at a time see if makes any difference..

regardless tho if you reported this @ 3 weeks , push for replacement new system..  just keep  pushing instead of getting run around.. .. when i had my M18X R2  i loved it and modded it to much i guess and finally killed the board after 3 years, now i got a X51 R3 ..  that again modded up the day it was received LOL , so i expect issues to arise but so far i was like you and had freezing and lockup but my case turned out was simple as the hard drive failing OUT OF THE BOX , which didn't bother me as i was dropping my SSD in it :)

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 11th, 2016 15:00

1. Then use it. It's the only way to get free labor and parts.

2. You could "own the problem". Accept that your-machine (your property) has a problem. Read and learn how to trouble-shoot and fix it yourself.

3. You said "That makes me ***; and I want a replacement for a working desktop now really :(. "

Yeah, that's what I thought. Only Dell can do anything even remotely close to that. So anything me or others try to help you do ... you will just resent ... perceived as a waste of time and an obstacle to your true desire.

In my life I have purchased many properties, cars, computers, machines, etc. Most go good in the beginning and over time. Some do not, but you learn how to do business to a least break even. Rarely does a magical "reset button" appear. All I'm saying is I understand your frustration, but I suggest you get past it.

The first step is to connect your expensive desktop computer (and it's peripherals) to a good UPS (like APC). Give it some perfect AC-Power to run on. Not only to elimate "power problems" but also to prevent further damage to this machine or any other you own. Then, you trouble-shoot and work-the-problem. I've never seen a computer that could not be fixed. Some just require more time and money than others.

11 Posts

December 13th, 2016 05:00

I found the main problem after a long time. Hard driver/disk usage reaches to %100 while I am playing a game or do sth else for a long time that this freezing thing appears instantly always.

I want to share some vidoe links and screenshots:

imagizer.imageshack.us/.../dncRWC.jpg

imagizer.imageshack.us/.../NDgfhF.jpg

imagizer.imageshack.us/.../ViE1HG.jpg

imagizer.imageshack.us/.../v3RVDL.jpg

imagizer.imageshack.us/.../KZKMFe.jpg

Videos how is this freezing thing starts while playing a game:

www.youtube.com/watch

www.youtube.com/watch

After this freezing thing, it makes me to for force restart via power button but then my computer freezes for another 2-3 times again like this:

www.youtube.com/watch

but in the meantime, the diagnosis saying me there is no problem at all...

imagizer.imageshack.us/.../yhJIV5.jpg

imagizer.imageshack.us/.../eYuG0m.jpg

Even the diagnosis from dell website says there is no problem too.

To solve this, I re-installed the whole windows 10 from zero after cleaning and deleting the whole things in the computer. Then I updated all drivers, bios and so many things but still nothing changed or fixed ( I even tried all tutorials from internet but thy didn't help me too at all ).

I reported this issue with support ticket then with my friend we called the support with phone too. Even they see this problem by themself too and I even show the all proofs. Dell still saying me that " We will try to solve this issue ourself, we cannot give you a total new desktop instantly. We need to follow the procedure ". I have warranty already. And this issue started the 2nd week after I got the desktop and then I reported this issue starting from the 2nd week until now and still I do for +1.5 months already and still continues. I really didn't understand this dell support help in England.

The dell in Turkey helped me much faster than Dell UK once I had a problem with my 4 years old alienware 18 laptop and thy came to our house and give a look and instantly took my laptop and then gave me a new laptop in a short time. But in Dell UK, even thy see the problem themself, thy cause a lot of works to you " not wanting to give a new desktop for their defective computer ". I really don't know what to do but still me and my friend try to get some help from the support :(

At the end I found the main reason now for this freezing things. HARD DRIVE/DISK %100 USAGE. The disk suddenly make itself to %100 usage for no reason too. This made me this conclusion that the hard drive thy gave me is defective by dell.

Who can help me to solve this issue please ? what do I need to do now ? :( thank you very much for your replies here.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 13th, 2016 13:00

Good post Mekaci. This thread is turning into a good description of the problem. Until the computer gets fixed, you can point Dell/Alienware Reps here so they can see the problem, as well as what steps you have taken to trouble-shoot and possibly repair the problem. It shows you are trying to do your part, toward a resolution.

However, read our responses carefully. If we ask a question or suggest a major step, we need a reply to know you read it, understood, and either did it or not. To fix the computer (or get closer to cause of problem) you have to do things in a methodical order. You can't skip or ignore steps.

For instance ... Have you installed the good Uninterruptable Power Supply yet (UPS, like an APC) ?

Next time it does this (100% Disk Usage):

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/796x448q90/r/922/ViE1HG.jpg

Click on "100% Disk:" so we can see what Processes it is (it will re-order the Processes by Disk Usage).

When it locks up as in videos, are you trying:
1. ALT-Tab to switch back to desktop
2. CTRL-ALT-DELETE to try to bring up Task-Manager
... it's important to know if it's just the Full-Screen games crashing or if Windows-10 is unstable as well.

I also wonder:
1. Does it lock-up when using an Internet browser or using desktop apps like Paint or NotePad (or only Full-screen Direct-X or OpenGL games)?

2. What does Event Viewer say happened right as machine locked up?

3. Does the computer work properly in Safe-Mode?

11 Posts

December 14th, 2016 09:00

1)

For a few times, my computer even freezed while watching japanese anime, tv series; or when I do my robotic projects with arduino or with pic, or use any application for some time

The only game I don't get a computer freezing issue generally is " battle for middle earth 2, rise of the witchking "; but the rest of the games like world of tanks, battlefield 1,heroes of the storm, archeage == full freeze once I play more than 15 minutes or 30 minutes. In Archeage and Battlefield 1, first your character freezing and you move like a robot without any motions and then the weapons are disappearing and whole computer enters to freezing mod and non of the keyboard buttons are working. In the meantime ( just before the main freeze ), I only can click to windows button for one time and move the mouse for a short time but nothing can be worked or cannot use anything too; but that really small time gave me the check to disk usage amount etc to get a screenshot with my mobile phone only lol...

2)

My event viewer is full of errors or warnings:

imagizer.imageshack.us/.../PbrxFQ.png

imagizer.imageshack.us/.../5b8Ihj.png

3)

Computer works fine in safe mode but ofc in safe mod you cannot play the games at all. So I cannot check if the freezing still happens while play the game etc. in safe mode too.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 14th, 2016 12:00

Not sure why you are ignoring some of my questions. I will only try this last time and then I think we are just about done here. Well, at least I am (maybe someone else will drop into this thread to help). You will have to go back to using Dell Phone and On-Site Support.

1. Have you installed a good Uninterruptable Power Supply yet (UPS, like an APC) ?

2. Are you using a broadband router that you control?

3. Are you using a real Ethernet wire or WiFi?

4. Are you running Windows Firewall and Windows Defender?

5. Does msinfo32 report SecureBoot is ON ?

6. What BIOS version are you running?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 14th, 2016 12:00

Computer works fine in safe mode but ofc in safe mod you cannot play the games at all. So I cannot check if the freezing still happens while play the game etc. in safe mode too.

Then that points to a software problem.

If machine passes UEFI Diags and runs properly in Safe-Mode ... 95% of the time the problem is a software problem (hardware is good).

Your problem could be something like ... Windows corruption, OS integrity failure, OS compromise, malicious Root-Kit installed, buggy drivers, un-authorized or buggy Processes or Services running, even a virus or malware.

You don't have to test with games (in fact, probably better if they were "removed from equation"). You can run OCCT (power-supply test mode) in full-screen, Unigine Benchmark any of the free PassMark stuff. 

11 Posts

December 14th, 2016 17:00

Hi Tesla, thank you for helping me. I don't delay your questions. I am not so good at these kind of computer related problems in detail and find the cause. This is my first time I experienced *** a thing at my computers. If you have time would you show me via teamviewer please ? thank you very much.

Today, a dell support came to check my computer with a teamviewer like program to check my computer. He used that " Unigine Benchmark " you mentioned and downloaded some programs too. At Unigine Benchmark testing with max graphics, the whole computer frozen again. He has done the things you mentioned above and even him was not able to find a solution so thy send me another person to look at my computer again with that dc.dell.com teamviewer like program.

If you have time would you help me with teamviewer please ?

I live in university dormitory room; so I cannot control the broadband router. I use ethernet wire. Yes, I am running Windows Firewall and Windows Defender. I am using bios A10 the lastest one. My all drivers are updated with latest versions. At msinfo32 the secure boot state, it says unsupported. I don't have Uninterruptable Power Supply :(.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 16th, 2016 00:00

1. Today, a dell support came to check my computer with a teamviewer like program to check my computer. He used that " Unigine Benchmark " you mentioned and downloaded some programs too. At Unigine Benchmark testing with max graphics, the whole computer frozen again. He has done the things you mentioned above and even him was not able to find a solution so thy send me another person to look at my computer again with that dc.dell.com teamviewer like program.

2. If you have time would you help me with teamviewer please ?

3. I live in university dormitory room; so I cannot control the broadband router.

4 I use ethernet wire.

5. Yes, I am running Windows Firewall and Windows Defender.

6. I am using bios A10 the lastest one. My all drivers are updated with latest versions.

7. At msinfo32 the secure boot state, it says unsupported.

8. I don't have Uninterruptable Power Supply :(.

1. sounds like you are well on your way to getting it fixed. Whether it needs hardware or a nice clean Windows and drivers install, they should be able to help you.

2. As I said I'm PM, I don't TeamViewer for Dell or for free. I do TeamViewer a bit for my clients, but it's definitely not free or low-cost. But I don't think that would help much at this point. It sounds like you know how to rebuild the software as needed. You have already provided good screenshots, videos of problems and lockups.

3. That is fine. I'm sure dorm router and network is setup properly by Admins.

4. Perfect. One less thing to worry about since no WiFi.

5. Perfect.

6. Good work, just checking.

7. Tell support you want that to work. You might have to clean install Windows-10/64bit with BIOS set to UEFI, SecureBoot On, and AHCI-Mode. Without SecureBoot you could have a RootKit now or get one later.

8. You really should get one. They really should not sell desktops without one. See my post above why I think they are mandatory. One power-surge will kill or damage your new machine, or wear it down so it fails years from now. A brown-out could corrupt SSD/HDD or software in an instant and you will never know (until later when you start having strange problems). Just so you know ... I have an APC-UPS on ever computer, every media-center, TV, Amp, etc.

Good luck my friend. Now that the Dell Reps have seen problems now ... they should be able to fix it. Just follow up on those support tickets until machine is operating properly. You WILL get through this problem, don't worry.

Let me know how it goes and if you need further assistance.

11 Posts

December 19th, 2016 07:00

Today, dell support came to change the mother board and hard drive and then we downloaded windows 10 then he left. After that I updated all my drivers and my bios too ( from A09 to A10 ). However, this time I started to get this error message when I restart my computer. CPU fan failure ( and the all x3 fan cables are connected correctly too ). At bios A09, there was no problem at all but it started after I updated bios to A10.

CPU fan failure:

imagizer.imageshack.us/.../w3xlsO.jpg

I click F1 to go desktop but the fan is making a huge noise and working in maximum speed; but I get CPU fan failure error all the time:

imagizer.imageshack.us/.../zC5L2d.jpg

Is there anyone knows how to fix this issue ?

Tesla, I will upgrade here once again after I play games and let you know instantly.

Note:

I gonna download some games now and play for +1hour etc to see if this freezing thing is fixed or not ( with this new replaced the whole motherboard and hard drive too. If it is still not fixed I will demand a full replacement for my computer from dell for sure really. For 2 months with my fully new computer I experience this issue.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 19th, 2016 11:00

Is there anyone knows how to fix this issue ?

I would start by checking that fans and cooling system (and possibly even the MIO-Board) are connected properly and functioning.

I would not expect machine to work properly until this is resolved.

Too bad on-site support had to leave before all work was done ... including BIOS updates and working drivers. I know Dell likes to shift this part back to Phone-Support and Customers but this is the flaw in the system.

With most companies ... once you must get a qualified technician to the machine on-site ... they do a complete job, whatever time it takes.

No Events found!