Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 4th, 2015 22:00

Aurora ALX R1 liquid cooling stock fan replacement alternatives

Hello , I own an aurora ALX R1 and it is still going strong after over 5 years. I have just now started messing around with higher overclocking(3.8 ghz) and I was wondering if changing the stock fan on the liquid cooling unit would help at all with temperature and perhaps noise reduction.To be clear , everything still works fine and my temperatures are decent (54 idle , 75 under load) but my pc does sound like a jet engine when gaming and I am uncomfortable pushing the cpu anymore as I do not want to raise the temperatures any more.I know I could get a better cooling solution but I am mostly looking for a quick and cheap upgrade so I can have just a little more fun with my R1 before I hand it over to my son and build myself another pc in maybe a year or so. Any suggestions? Thank in advance!

By the way I was thinking of a noctua nf-f12 ippc-2000 pwm at the moment...

757 Posts

May 5th, 2015 05:00

If you have an i920 thru i960 chip at 3.8 there isn't much you can do to keep it cool with the fans running any less to keep the noise down. Corsair has the 80 series cooler that works well. It is probably time to change the cooler and the thermal paste which should help. In the mean time ensure the radiator and fans are clean of dust buildup.

May 5th, 2015 06:00

yes I have the i920. So youre saying the stock fan is good enough , no upgrade at all to change the fan? Maybe if I switched the fan around for push instead of pull , or arranged for 2 fans for push , pull? I would really rather not change the cooler but I will look into changing the thermal paste like you said. I do try to keep my pc as dust free as possible , I use a small compressor to blow dust out around once a month. Do the temps I mentioned seem reasonable to you? Thanks!

757 Posts

May 7th, 2015 06:00

The stock fan was never really that good, but the temps you mention are normal. Changing the direction of the air will not make any difference with your setup. A dual fan with a larger radiator would make a difference but your current setup seems to be working fine. Just understanf that the current cooler you have is approaching its useful life and if you plan on reappling the Thermal Paste now would be a good time to change the cooler, especially if you plan to pass on the computer to your son next year..... I installed this cooler years ago and it works very well. Depending on which cooler you purchase you may have to remove the motherboard to change out the mounting bracket. There are numerous utube videos showing how to do this. You would have to change the bracket with this cooler....... www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx
No Events found!