Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 13th, 2010 08:00

Aurora ALX with AMD5970 in crossfire (power supply upgrade) - Is it possible?

Hi

I notice Dell do not offer the 5970 in a crossfire (for the Aurora ALX) but do offer the 5870.

I understand it's because the power consumption is too great for the 875 watt power supply.

So therefore is it possible to upgrade the power supply to 1000 watt?

If so any recommendations? and things I need to be aware of?

Mark

September 13th, 2010 19:00

Update:

Well according to the AMD website 850 watts is recommended.

So that begs the question, why don't Dell offer the 5970 in crossfire for the Aurora ALX??

Mark

265 Posts

September 13th, 2010 20:00

Well, thats an easy one.

Because Dell doesnt use high quality power supplies like Corsair or PC Power & Cooling, or Enermax...etc. They use generic regular PSU's that cant back up the wattage they are rated for with a low amount of amperage on the +12V rails. I got the 1.2KW PSU and (so far) I cant even run 3 ATI 5870s in Crossfire in my Area 51 because of the PSU, while other custom built PC users are using 900W-1000W Corsair or other aftermarket PSUs and running them without problems, and might I add, also overclocking the CPU and GPUs.

Basically, the Dell PSU's are terrible for the high end user/upgrade enthusiast. You can change out the PSU in your Aurora (I believe), but your side panel lighting will not work, because the Aurora PSU has a special contact plate for the left side panel built on your stock PSU.

No Events found!