Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 6th, 2016 18:00

Aurora R3 black screen no boot

(Note: This is a repost of a thread I tried to make over at alienwarearena.com; it was flagged as Spam for no apparent reason so now I'm trying here)

Hi, I'm having a bit of trouble identifying an issue with my Aurora R3 and was hoping you guys could help. I have spent most of the last 48 hours looking for information about the issue I'm experiencing and can't seem to find anything related anywhere (google, forums, reddit, dell, etc etc).

Two weeks ago I left my home to go on a little vacation. The day I left, I used my PC like I normally do, and before leaving I shut it down and unplugged it from the multiplug jack. At the time, everything was working fine. There were no signs of anything being wrong with the system.

However, two nights ago I returned home. I put down my luggage, plugged in my Aurora R3 and pressed the power button. And then the beeps began. I did a few searches and found some beep code tables. The two beeps I was getting meant something was wrong with the RAM, so I took out all four modules (2x 2GB, 2x 1GB) and put them back in. I then tried to turn the computer back on. The beeps were gone, but I was now getting a black screen. It doesn't seem to be a GPU issue since my monitor displays a sort of options screensaver when it's on but not plugged in (or plugged into the wrong port), and right now it's just a black screen.

The computer emits a single beep when I turn it on, but it has always done that. It is not a looping beep like the one I was getting previously before I reinstalled the RAM modules. I also noticed the alien head on the case (on top of the DVD drive, right underneath the power button) is not lighting up. I guess that's the main thing that would identify my issue. Fans turn on, generic keyboard and Logitech mouse light up, and there are no other signs that would help me identify the issue.

PSU works fine (tested with the small button on the back of the case), it doesn't seem to be a GPU issue (I've removed both cards and tried booting with each card and no cards installed but the issue persists), and I've tried booting with each RAM module to no avail. I guess I should also mention that I tried to input my Windows password and pressed Enter to see if I would hear the Windows chime, but that didn't work either.

I have looked everywhere I can think of and I am at a loss. I really do hope you guys can help me figure out what is going on with my system, because right now I'm thinking I might have to get a new one. :(

Any help will be much appreciated.

- R.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 7th, 2016 12:00

1. hah... this entire time I was thinking "maybe that Tesla guy can help". I've had to read more than one of your previous posts. :)

2. Anywho, last night I saw the CMOS battery removal procedure in another thread (forum?) and decided to try it. I removed the battery, let it sit for a few minutes, did a power flush, put the battery back in and tried to start the machine, but I was still getting the same problem (1 -normal- beep, black screen, alien head not lighting up).

3. I just did the CMOS jumper reset but that did not work either. I tried it with the computer plugged in to AC and unplugged just to be sure. The only thing left to do is to measure the voltage on the battery but I have to wait on a friend to get home so I can use his multimeter.

4. In the meantime I wanted to know... would a faulty MIO board prevent the computer from starting up? And can I consider it faulty if the tiny light labelled "power" on the board still lights up or would that signal that the board is in working condition?

5. At this point, I suspect the problem is either the mobo or the MIO, but I want to be as sure as I can be before I order either one. So if you had to guess, which one do you think is causing the issue?

Look forward to reading your response.

- R.

1. Thanks. A lot of this is just basic computer TroubleShooting. I try not to get hung-up on the fact that these are "Alienware" computers. Just TS like they are normal computers. Then, fix the Alienware stuff on the tail-end.

2. Hmm.

3.  You will have to finish this in a proper way before moving on. However, it's not sounding promising.

With the machine being completely disconnected from AC-Power, a failed CMOS battery seemed to fit the scenario. Also, when it happens, you will get various "motherboard related" error beep codes.

4. Not really ,,, other problems. It would have to be really fried or shorted to hold down machine. Or disconnected so that Asetek cooler pump doesn't run. But even then, processor should still run for a few seconds before it over-heats. BIOS would at least post or start to post (you would get some video as BIOS and MotherBoard board tried to start).

5. Motherboard, but just guessing. It ultimately depends on what Trouble-shooting reveals (which sometimes includes swapping in test-parts).

Any machine that is dead or fails to post ... this is an "advanced repair" even for experienced qualified computer technician.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 6th, 2016 23:00

Get PDF Service Manual.

Remove CMOS (I think coin) battery and either check for 3volts or install a new fresh/good one.

Use Jumper to reset CMOS.

If machine boots, reset BIOS to defaults, and then make your edits to old settings.

In general, these machines don't like being unplugged. Usually causes MIO-Board problems though (not motherboard problems). Just saying. Oh, and get a good UPS (like APC) so you don't have to un-plug it or worry about it.

7 Posts

December 7th, 2016 11:00

hah... this entire time I was thinking "maybe that Tesla guy can help". I've had to read more than one of your previous posts. :)

Anywho, last night I saw the CMOS battery removal procedure in another thread (forum?) and decided to try it. I removed the battery, let it sit for a few minutes, did a power flush, put the battery back in and tried to start the machine, but I was still getting the same problem (1 -normal- beep, black screen, alien head not lighting up).

I just did the CMOS jumper reset but that did not work either. I tried it with the computer plugged in to AC and unplugged just to be sure. The only thing left to do is to measure the voltage on the battery but I have to wait on a friend to get home so I can use his multimeter.

In the meantime I wanted to know... would a faulty MIO board prevent the computer from starting up? And can I consider it faulty if the tiny light labelled "power" on the board still lights up or would that signal that the board is in working condition?

At this point, I suspect the problem is either the mobo or the MIO, but I want to be as sure as I can be before I order either one. So if you had to guess, which one do you think is causing the issue?

Look forward to reading your response.

- R.

7 Posts

December 7th, 2016 19:00

Alright, well... I just got back from testing the battery and it was giving a 2.88v reading so I doubt that's the culprit. And honestly, I kind of inclined towards it being the mobo all along. I checked all the cables, removed possibly-conflicting hardware and it all gave the same results: fans turn on, 1 beep, all lights work except the alien head, and a black screen.

I appreciate what you do here, Tes. Guess I'll start looking for a replacement mobo... or start evaluating my options.

Thanks again,

- R.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 7th, 2016 23:00

You are welcome. Too bad you could not get it going.

Maybe pull the battery out and set the CMOS jumper over-night. The "un-plugged for days" and that error all point the CMOS battery failure. Especially if you are going to try to repair it with purchased parts ... I would mess with it some more.

I've seen drives fail with machine un-plugged in storage, but not really a motherboard (just their batteries).

All that said ... yeah, I would not put much money into it. Put that money toward a new machine.

No Events found!