Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

September 16th, 2013 13:00

Aurora R3 upgrades

Hello everyone

Im looking to upgrade my R3. Want to know what limitations i have on aftermarket upgrades. Ram and graphics cards are my main upgrades currently

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 28th, 2014 13:00

For either card ...

If they are plain Reference Design and you can flash the card's VideoBIOS (vBIOS) to a Legacy or non-UEFI (non-hybrid) version ... it should work.

This is a work-around but seems to work. Celtics17 figured it out. Also, falls in-line with what we suspected ... that it was a UEFI or SecureBoot issue.

I suspect same work-around is required for similar vintage XPS models.

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19544233.aspx

16 Posts

June 17th, 2015 19:00

Well with my Aurora R3 today I just replaced the single NVidia GTX 590 with a killer GTX 980Ti and it worked ! ... one thing though I researched all those people with the GTX 780 NVidias that didn't work and I suspect they didn't have enough power for that one on the PCIe slot rails i.e. they only got the Aurora R3 with the 500w power supply, I opened up my Aurora R3 and had to remove the power supply and it was a  Dell 875w Silver 80 PSU, there's even some label on the graphics cards cables (6 and 8 pin) which reads something like "these connectors are not active with systems with the 500w power supply". One thing to note if you are using a Dell Monitor U3014 and you are using one of the 3xDisplay Ports on the GTX 780Ti then you have to set the monitor to "DisplayPort 1.2 ENABLED", to do this you have to press the OSD on the monitor AND have it connected to the PC (say via DVI cable).

12 Posts

June 18th, 2015 03:00

I have an Early 2011 R3 and Late 2011 R4 and my R3 is a wonderful machine but my R4 has been nothing but loud and troublesome since i got it...

16 Posts

June 18th, 2015 03:00

Well with my Alienware Aurora R3 today I just replaced the single NVidia GTX 590 with a killer GTX 980Ti and it worked ! ... one thing though I researched all those people with the GTX 780 NVidias that didn't work and I suspect they didn't have enough power for that one on the PCIe slot rails i.e. they only got the Aurora R3 with the 500w power supply, I opened up my Aurora R3 and had to remove the power supply and it was a  Dell 875w Silver 80 PSU, there's even some label on the graphics cards cables (6 and 8 pin) which reads something like "these connectors are not active with systems with the 500w power supply". One thing to note if you are using a Dell Monitor U3014 and you are using one of the 3xDisplay Ports on the GTX 980Ti then you have to set the monitor to "DisplayPort 1.2 ENABLED", to do this you have to press the OSD on the monitor AND have it connected to the PC (say via DVI cable).

16 Posts

March 5th, 2016 18:00

How did you manage to get 32GB to work on the Aurora R3, I thought that the motherboard only did max 16GB...

No Events found!