Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 29th, 2016 20:00

Aurora R4 BIOS options missing

Hi,

I own an R4 with a late 2013 build-date (see specs below) running BIOS version A11. I just upgraded my video card to an EVGA GTX 1070, and when I went into the BIOS, I noticed that the CPU Power Management Configuration page is now empty...there are literally no options there at all. I am missing all of the settings that used to be there, including the Core Multipliers and other overclocking settings.

Selecting the "Load OC Level 1" or "Load OC Level 2" options in the preceding page had no effect on the missing settings. I downloaded and re-flashed by BIOS with the A11 update from the Dell Support site, but there has been no change.

BIOS main screen:

BIOS 1.jpg

The Advanced tab:

BIOS 2.jpg

The CPU Power Management Configuration Screen:

BIOS 3.jpg

I'm unsure what has happened, or even when it happened. I can't be certain that the timing of the BIOS issue correlates to the hardware upgrade...it had been a months since I was last in the BIOS. I also simultaneously applied a large Windows update (the Windows 10 Anniversary update), and installed a new PCIe sound card. Too many large changes to be able to undo for testing purposes.

Any ideas what's wrong? I'm unable to OC my computer.

Specs:

Aurora R4, Service Tag 

BIOS version A11

Win 10 Pro (x64) v1607 (Build 14393)

Core i7-4820K @ 3.7GHz

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX3.0

16Gb RAM

512Mb SSD / 1Tb HDD

September 11th, 2016 08:00

Heyo Noodle,

Cass-ole asked if I could post some info over here, so here goes:

I recently upgrade my Aurora R4 as well.  A bit older than yours, I have an i7 3930, and it had BIOS A3 on it.  I updated my BIOS prior to installing my Radeon R9 380 4gig card and new 16gig RAM.  I had to flash to A05 BIOS first and then to A11 BIOS from the Dell website.  I installed the A11 version about a month ago.  I checked my BIOS and I have the same options as Cass-ole has, it looks like.

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu272/Chuckrock2004/dellscreen.jpg

I also have the same version of Windows 10 you have.  

Chuck

I do not have a PCIe sound card.

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

August 29th, 2016 21:00

30755.Capture.JPG

loss of OC in Bios A06, supposed to be restored in A07 / 09 / 10 & 11

Capturebiosa - Copy.JPG

Danger

A07 >< A09

attempt a backflash & your motherboard will probably brick with 'permanent damage'

I do not know if u can backflash / downgrade once A11 is applied, however a bootable USB in DOS is best; do not attempt to flash using Windows or a bricking may be your reward, you've been warned

Aurora R4 - How can I downgrade BIOS?

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

August 29th, 2016 22:00

2502.Capture.JPG

4 Posts

August 31st, 2016 22:00

The Dell Knowledge Base indicates that downgrading the BIOS is an "allowable" action, and only requires one to run the executable (or create a bootable disk). So if it comes to that, I'm fine with it.

However, although my system had A09 installed at the factory, I seem to remember the options were still there after I updated to A11. Am I misremembering?

Any official Dell position on the issue of mission BIOS options in A11?

4 Posts

September 2nd, 2016 23:00

So no one else is seeing this issue? No one from Dell has an opinion or suggestion on what to do?

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

September 3rd, 2016 19:00

I needed a Saturday to finally inspect & photo my A11; again, my A11 was installed when I purchased this; it occurred to me A11 may have been updated last July29 in prep for Win10; I visited A11 & note it is unchanged since its release in 2013, where my code 'should' be the same as yours & theirs

4426.A11.JPG

These Bios settings are without an overclock applied at the moment while my manual settings do reside in my A11, in stark contrast to yours I'm afraid to say.

Sir. I do not know how to help you recover your manual settings in the Power Management Menu. I would invite you to post on AlienArena & please visit the Tech|Inferno forum & also their Alien sub-forum (even if it is a laptop section) where you're likely to run into a Bios expert or two willing to offer help or someone there can direct you to their resident expert; it may be possible for them to inspect A11 & see if manual settings are 'unlocked' in the Dell.com A11 version you flashed with; if they are there or are removed, you may get an answer & I hope you do. Since I did not flash with their A11 I can not say why mine is here & yours is not. I do feel I've helped provide an answer of sorts but can not help any further in this matter, other than to say, load default values, apply a LVL1 OC, reboot, inspect bios, if no manual, then revert to default, reboot, inspect for manual, if no good, apply LVL2 & repeat until your Bios does or does not display manual settings

Danger: it is possible that a portion of your Bios Chip is corrupt & a re-flash may help; however the R4 in particular is prone to bricking at a rate that I do not recommend flashing it again, not unless you are on the phone with Tech Support & they are guiding you through the flash & can offer help or replacement if it bricks

Last, in the event of a brick: Aurora R4 Bios Bricked. Need Help flashing

I messaged Zog to follow-up on this post but he experienced a setback in life & will attempt to respond to this post when able; he can be friend requested & messaged, but the thread itself has no email notify (u might post in that thread & he may not see it etc). Last, there are Bios chip sold through eBay for R4, where an expert might take a bricked chip & solder on a new one. I say this, since forum members reading this post have bricking info at the same time I'm aware you may not need it

Part numbers for the R4 board - in the event of a brick - 7JNH0 & FPV4P

also try these:

The Aurora-R4 shipped with two motherboards.

8FMMC Motherboard for Ivybridge E i7-4820K, i7-4930K, i7-4960X
C5D9P Motherboard for Sandybridge i3-2120, i7-3820, i7-3930K, i7-3960

What motherboard do I have?

edit: here is Chuck's screen Sept 10 2016

dellscreen.jpg

this makes me think a portion of your Bios chip is corrupt

needs another firmware flash to write the full code in?

4 Posts

September 3rd, 2016 20:00

Thanks for checking, Cass-ole. I appreciate it. I'll try the other forums you mentioned.

No Events found!