Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 11th, 2014 07:00

Aurora R4 PSU upgrade

I am looking at the EVGA - SuperNOVA 1300 G2 ATX CPU Power Supply to replace the unit in my tower does anyone know if i will have issues with it fitting?

17 Posts

October 11th, 2014 08:00

You have to measure the inside of your Aurora to see if it will fit. Then find the dimensions of the EVGA PSU. Put two and two together and see if it will fit.  

October 11th, 2014 14:00

So the EVGA is almost 2  inches longer however there seems to be enough space on the front side in between the psu and the hdd cage for the connectors and wires to go where they need. (especially since its modular) I may have to mod / elongate the wire opening with a dremel from the psu area into the case an inch but it'll definitely fit. Does anyone know of any adverse effects of having all the extra power before upgrading to newer sli cards? 

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

October 11th, 2014 14:00

Here, the owner had success w/a psu that is 7.5 inches long while running a solo card; SuperNova is 200mm (7 7/8 inches), the added near 1/2 inch may be the difference between losing or keeping an hdd caddy, you won't know til you put it in there (& I certainly do not know):

I test fit my Xfx Pro1250 chassis in my R4 - w/out any of its cables - just to get a look-see, & its 7.5" length seemed a sort of max, if my intent was to keep the hdd cage. The question then remains if you can fit all the sleeved cables underneath a dual-card - I feel a psu w/ribbon cables are best suited in a dual-card setup. My psu swap will not happen anytime soon, so I still cannot say.

Basically, no matter what aftermarket psu you go with, it looked to me like you would install all of your new cables 1st - push the new chassis into the psu space half-way, then make all your connections to its front panel, then push it in all the way & bolt it in place. A temporary "shim" underneath the front of the psu will help center it up, so that the rear screws can go in place. It was quite a three-handed venture. No adverse affects I know of in doing a swap, accept that full-sized sleeved cables may prove "too much" for Aurora's cramped space under the bottom card. I'm recommending re-routing the cables using these:

3362.$_57.jpg

October 11th, 2014 15:00

Thank you. I was looking for someone that had some experience with it. I too am semi concerned with the space under the cards which is why I thought of elongating the cable routing hole above the psu I think that May give me the clearance I need if not I can always buy ribbon cables or re route them somehow. I will keep you all posted as I make the change. Since I am out of warranty anyway I figure I may as well upgrade if I need to fix it anyway.

October 11th, 2014 16:00

Oh I only have 2 HDd anyway

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

Newegg has it @ 150 after reb8 ...

edit: here is a photo of the 750w used in this swap, due to the broken photo links above

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

elongating the psu/cable access hole carries w/it some after-thoughts:

• protecting cables from new jagged/sharp edges (soft-rubber u-channel moulding may help)
  • whether pci-shroud will close, once additional sleeved cables present in the area next to the card
  • 1300GS video cables come w/a "built-in filter capacitor" at the 6+2 connector: that added bulk, if it can be called that, has unknown affect inside Aurora's pci shroud area, which is tight to begin with

also, "buying new ribbons down the line" may require "rebuilding" the modular connector end to meet the 1300GS front panel pinout. You may be better served w/a Seasonic 1250 xm2, which is 7.5 inches & comes w/ribbons (& sleeved 24pin). Understand I just used the word qualifier "may". I am too busy @ the moment to try to look into my Hale90 ribbons & their practicality inside Aurora; I can't take my case apart to remove stock case harness & get answers anytime soon. Understand that the stock case harness has two, call them 12" non-sleeved vid-cables. In a dual-card set-up, you'll be running the equivalent of 8 feet of sleeved video cable (4 x 24 inches): it all has to go somewhere ... the GS coming in at 7 7/8, the temporary loss of an hdd bay may be obligatory. If you have only two hdd's, then so-what.

Price and performance were my two main reasons for choosing this psu at the price nothing really compares at all

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

October 25th, 2014 07:00

Awesome man; pics soon to follow I hope. For name-dropping the mobo's, it depends on what cpu you want to use. There's a guy on the AlienwareOwners forum in the Aurora section (who's name I can't think of right now, I just woke up, coffee ain;t kicked in yet) & sells his custom Aurora cases on eBay; likes to use Asus ROG products with what he calls a 100% success rate with CommandCenter (which soft / firm-ware versions he uses IDK):

version 1.0 R4 stock boards available here for about 100 bucks & 30 day warranty - but hurry:

- "This is Covey Leader to Raven. Talk to me Johnny ..." -

October 25th, 2014 07:00

So I wanted to update everyone. the PSU does fit however without removing the rear HDD cage it was very very tight. I removed the rear hdd cage and man what a project that is but anyway, it fits. The psu slides in all the way to the restriction pin under the video cards. 

I will say, this has to be one of the nicest psu's i have ever had the pleasure of installing. It did not however fix my video problems so now I will be looking for a good replacement MoBo. Anyone have any suggestions?

16 Posts

October 25th, 2014 08:00

Well, I performed this upgrade except used Corsair RM750..

once you rip out that old miss and reorganize you'll have space :)

did this all for a graphics card, lol

No Events found!