Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

June 9th, 2014 18:00

Aurora R4 crashing after BIOS A11 upgrade

Alienware Aurora R4 purchased in Fall of 2012 (out of warranty)

My Alienware Command Center wasn't working (lights unresponsive, sensors not reading, etc etc), so I looked up some stuff and saw that there was a new command center out. At some point during this process, it asked that I upgrade my BIOS to the latest version. I wish I'd never done it, because it's caused a much worse problem than it solved.

I updated from A09 (I think) to A11 and now there's something going on with my CPU's thermals causing my machine to shut down constantly. When I turn it on, the fans flare at what sounds like 100% and don't stop. For a while, I couldn't get it past the initial screen (with the alienware logo, where you can choose to load BIOS) because it would shut down halfway. I let the comp sit for a little while and finally made it into WIndows. However, the fans were still running like crazy, even on idle, and after opening up a simple program like Chrome, it crashed after a few minutes. The new Command Center (which works btw, small victory) is clocking my system fan at 4100 RPM almost constantly.

HWMonitor image - http://i.gyazo.com/e60add99c6570b829316c97632f5ec7d.png

I read that the problem could be that the BIOS upgrade changed my SATA to RAID, so I changed it back to AHCI. Didn't work.

I reset my BIOS settings. Didn't work. Tried finding the CMOS battery / jumper pins, but I couldn't find the battery & the jumper is blocked by my gfx card (which I don't know how to take out because I'm a hardware noob and am afraid of doing any more damage).

I ran ePSA and found that my CPU Thermistor was out of range, burning up at 104C. So there's my problem. Error Code: 2000-0314, Validation: 123255.

By the way, I do maintenance on my computer to prevent overheating, so it's not dusty fans.

Called Alienware Tech Support, and they basically gave me some line about having to pay for a technician to come out and replace my liquid cooling hose. Not buying it. I checked it out, it's not loose, it's not leaking, it doesn't look the slightest bit damaged, and there was nothing wrong with it before the BIOS update. I doubt that my problem is a malfunctioning hose when my computer was working PERFECTLY (no crashing, no errors, never even had a blue screen) before I upgraded BIOS. There's got to be some software changed or something that's affecting my liquid cooling or fans or something. I hope. 

So I'm reaching out to yall, because I have limited knowledge of hardware & all this is new to me, and I'd really just like to fix my baby so I can game again :c Any suggestion?

Please keep in mind that it's hard for me to run the computer for more than 5 minutes.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 9th, 2014 18:00

The new Command Center (which works btw, small victory) is clocking my system fan at 4100 RPM almost constantly.

HWMonitor image - http://i.gyazo.com/e60add99c6570b829316c97632f5ec7d.png

I ran ePSA and found that my CPU Thermistor was out of range, burning up at 104C. So there's my problem. Error Code: 2000-0314, Validation: 123255.

Sounds like a failure of Asetek Liquid Cooling system.

Radiator fan is running as fast as it can to dissipate the heat. 4 Intel cores are too hot causing problems.

ePSA confirms. There are also other MIO-Board tests that you can do.

If you are unable to remove CMOS coin battery, skill level might hamper further hardware troubleshooting or repair. Might want to seek-out qualified computer technician to help.

2 Posts

June 9th, 2014 19:00

Thank you so much for responding!

What other MIO-Board tests can I run to confirm the failure of the liquid cooling system?

How could the BIOS have caused this? I made sure to update all my chipsets & drivers before doing the update. Is this a common problem with this update?

My bf will be back from a business trip in a few days to help me with anything hardware related. He builds computers so that'll be a big help for me.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 9th, 2014 21:00

The available MIO-Board Tests are all listed in ePSA. You should be able to "exercise" all attached components (lights, fans, etc.). If cooling system is failing ... but MIO-Board passes tests ... that just leaves the Asetek Cooling system itself.

It might have been those last minute updates you did, or even the BIOS update. It might have just been a coincidence.

What I quoted above points to Asetek failure ... It's pretty common.

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19516339.aspx

See my Favorite links for a bunch of troubleshooting threads.

No Events found!