Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 14th, 2013 09:00

Aurora R4 overheating problem SOLVED!!!

I posted few days ago about my  aurora overheating problem but got no real answer... So i decided to find the problem by myself and look what i found ...

My theory was that my pump wasnt working because 1 hose ( the out ) was really getting hot ( almost can't touch it ) and the intake was cold.

So i removed my entire watercooling systems

the inside pump liquid was full no problem here

4722.pump.jpg

The input right side...  no problem

1307.input.jpg

And finaly ... the problem the output of the liquid was complety blocked by that gelly thing

3463.output.jpg

So i cleaned all this with alcool, putted new thermal paste on CPU and here we go [:O]

Before

2388.temp.jpg

After

2818.Temp after.jpg

So i hope this thread will help someome because i did alot of search and found nothing that helped me.

And i got a question for alienware support wasnt the watercooling system was suppose to be maintenance free ??

This look like a bad quality watercooling liquid ! And its not old i bought my comp in june 2012 so warranty ended 1 month ago ...

1 Message

October 25th, 2013 12:00

Having same symptoms as above. Not sure how to take apart the cooling system. Not sure if my PC is still covered by warranty. Any suggestions from dell that's not gonna cost me an arm and a leg?

7 Posts

October 25th, 2013 18:00

It's surprisingly uncomplicated. I gave some basic instructions for it on the thread I started for the same problem but here's the copy:

1: Inner set of screws on the pump system can be a little sticky. Don't be afraid to give it a bit of force both getting them out and in, just be mindful not to strip the screw heads. You shouldn't need to touch the outer set.

2: If you're conservative you can leave the majority of the thermal gel (the grey gunk on the outside of the pump) where it is though it may be advisable to replace it on both the pump and CPU. A damp cloth on the pump would be fine, just make sure to dry it off fully afterwards before applying the fresh layer and putting it back in the system. Same again for the back of the processor just make sure not to touch any of the contacts on the underside and I recommend nothing too damp at all. Rough side of a very well squeezed sponge worked fine, then a tissue to dry it up. A small syringe of thermal paste shouldn't cost much at all. Less than a new pump system. And A LOT less than replacing your mother board because it melted.

3: When cleaning out the residue inside the pump it's self, I found a fine knife was needed to actually leverage the covering off the pump, just work it around the edge and it popped up with a simple twist. Then I took the knife and scraped the greenish gunk from the radiator fins lightly before giving it a thorough blasting from every direction with tap water. There's still some residue there but it seems to be plenty clear enough to last until I get a new cooling system. Preferably a maintenance free 'maintenance free' pump.

4: With the system apart I recommend you either find some sort of clamp device or a nearby relative (in my case one younger brother, pre-used, slightly bad lungs and an attitude problem who will sit still long enough if the subtitle proverbial carrot is offered)  to keep the open pump up so the fluid doesn't go spilling. After that it's a simple case of replacing the radiator, screwing it down and applying a fresh layer of thermal paste to the CPU (if indeed you did clean it off) and screwing the pump back in. I recommend you lay the case on it's side so that the back of the CPU, when in palace, is pointing straight up. then apply a small dab of gel in one corner and spread it outwards. Making sure of course that the whole of the back is covered. Screw the pump back into place and leave it to set for a few minuets, plug everything back in and enjoy the Sound of Silence from your Aurora.

Few other things. make sure to give anything you may have used for removing either kind of gunk off a good cleaning. I've thrown the sponge I used to clean the thermal gel out... I'm still seeing things but the doctor says I'll be fine in the morning...

Also, when poking around inside the computer, make sure all the wires are back where they should be. Just give them a light push and if they wriggle around, take them off and put them back on firmly. Nearly gave myself a heart attack when the RPM for the HDD fan read zero but it tuns out I'd just not quite reconnected all the pins when I was cleaning the dust out the other day. 

Hope it helps.

1 Message

October 26th, 2013 05:00

Hey, I'm pretty sure I have this same problem, I've took out the Cooling system an all no problem but now the heat sink just refuses to budge, do you have any tips for getting it out?

24 Posts

October 27th, 2013 05:00

Just want to also add to this post by saying great job! If anyone has an Alienware Aurora R4 and all of a sudden the system fan just runs out of control this is a great place to start. I also had an issue with my system running perfectly for 10 months then one day out of the blue the system fan would run on HIGH RPM for just browsing on the internet. I searched google.com and found this write up and tried it myself and sure enough mine was slam clogged as well. Cleaned it with some gentle soap and water and rinsed VERY thoroughly before re-installing. Now it works like a charm!! Still purchased a Corsair H80i to replace this Dell POS, but the system runs with no issues after the cleaning. Thanks again and I truly hope others will locate this post.

11 Posts

November 5th, 2013 09:00

can anyone confirm that an h80i cooler will be a direct fit? I understand that the h55 will be but I feel like the h80i would do a better job of cooling

24 Posts

November 5th, 2013 10:00

The H80i isn't exactly a direct fit, but it does work. You will notice that the RAM near the CPU is a bit tight once you have the radiator installed and that you will have to do a slight bit of modification to the mounting of the radiator fan to the case itself, but otherwise it fits pretty nicely. Just installed one in my Aurora R4 a few days ago and I am satisfied with the results so far.

Truckin

11 Posts

November 5th, 2013 10:00

awesome how much modification to the case are we talking.? couple holes? 

also cooling results how are they? 

11 Posts

November 5th, 2013 11:00

I assume that is your cpu temp? Because at load mine reaches 74c and the mobo is like 92c

11 Posts

dear god idle mine is 48, looks like I know which cooler I'm getting, how did you get the back side of the case off to put the mounting bracket on the backside of the cpu? 

24 Posts

I didn't make any mods to the case itself; however, I did have to utilize the OEM fan screws to hold the pull fan on the radiator to the case itself as the supplied screws weren't long enough IMO. I also had to remove the video card shield as it would not open and close easily; I felt this was due to the larger radiator on the H80i vs. the OEM radiator. Temps have been varied depending on which product you use to measure them, but I have seen around 33 C on Idle and around 48 at max load on the CPU. I am happy with my purchase at this point, I just hope it doesn't clog up like the OEM cooler did......

Truckin

24 Posts

I have the Intel LGA 2011 socket so there was no need to install the back plate from Corsair. All I had to do was place the magnetic holder on the CPU, install the four screws directly into the OEM plate on the motherboard and that was it. If you have another type socket requiring the use of a back plate then I think you are going to have to remove the motherboard itself as I don't think the back side of the case is removable. I could be wrong on that point, but I didn't see anywhere it could be separated. Good luck with you install!

Truckin

24 Posts

I apologize, yes that is my CPU temps not my motherboard temps.....Should have made that a bit more clear....

Truckin

11 Posts

November 5th, 2013 12:00

thanks! one last question did you use the thermal grease that came with it only? or have to apply some as well to the processor

11 Posts

November 5th, 2013 12:00

Did you use the thermal grease that was pre applied only? or did you end up getting your own

24 Posts

November 5th, 2013 13:00

I removed the pre-applied thermal grease that was applied by Corsair and used Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound instead.....

Truckin

No Events found!