Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 14th, 2013 09:00

Aurora R4 overheating problem SOLVED!!!

I posted few days ago about my  aurora overheating problem but got no real answer... So i decided to find the problem by myself and look what i found ...

My theory was that my pump wasnt working because 1 hose ( the out ) was really getting hot ( almost can't touch it ) and the intake was cold.

So i removed my entire watercooling systems

the inside pump liquid was full no problem here

4722.pump.jpg

The input right side...  no problem

1307.input.jpg

And finaly ... the problem the output of the liquid was complety blocked by that gelly thing

3463.output.jpg

So i cleaned all this with alcool, putted new thermal paste on CPU and here we go [:O]

Before

2388.temp.jpg

After

2818.Temp after.jpg

So i hope this thread will help someome because i did alot of search and found nothing that helped me.

And i got a question for alienware support wasnt the watercooling system was suppose to be maintenance free ??

This look like a bad quality watercooling liquid ! And its not old i bought my comp in june 2012 so warranty ended 1 month ago ...

8 Posts

May 2nd, 2014 01:00

Hello Essay,

Welcome to the club of Alienware Failing Cooling system owners [li]

Well, to respond to your question, the best system that fits is the 80i from Corsair. The thermal paste is already applied on the radiator, so you won't have to purchase any other stuff. Follow the documentation provided with the cooling system and you'll be done quickly. The only issue i had was with the bios that warned me at every boot that the cpu fan failed. It's only because h80i system is not plugged to the r4 cpu fan plug anymore. I've found the option in the bios at last to prevent the system to halt at every boot ! here it is !

Cheers !

Don't forget when the time to change your computer will come, never again an Alienware ! [:@]

bios.jpg

10 Posts

May 2nd, 2014 07:00

Thank you, KEAPS!!!

9 Posts

May 4th, 2014 13:00

Hey guys,

First i want to say thanks for you comments ! When i made this post i never thought there was so many people with this problem

So... i was the first to open and clean the pump and it look like the problem is back again.

Same story almost 1 year later ...

222.jpg

But this time i completely washed the pump and made my own coolant fluid

fluid2.jpg 

There was alot of "jelly" inside the pump too

Step 1-  Wash the inside pump with listerine to clean and kill bacteria

2- Rince with de-ionized water

3- Add the coolant liquid :

50% de-ionized water  ( less conductive than distilled water)

50% Super coolant 

And few ml of listerine as biocide

I added around 80 ml of the mix to full it

Information for the water coolant mix http://www.overclockers.com/pc-water-coolant-chemistry-part-ii/

Im running this since 3 days and its working very well. My core temperatue was  75-80 C after i cleaned the pump last summer and im now at 60-65 C and the fan is so quiet 

So again i hope it will help you guys. This is another solution for less than 20$ !

Goldfire

2 Posts

May 6th, 2014 21:00

hey, i am just wondering how can u replace the original alienware liquid cooling system with the corsair h80i? i hv tried to replace with a corsair h60 but it  didnt work the screw for stablizating the cpu wont  work. could u please tell me how to change the liquid cooling system?

thx

10 Posts

May 6th, 2014 21:00

I am about to get H80i for my Aurora R4 in next few days

from what I heard, H80i fits perfect for Aurora R4

I will update it more after I replaced it. Hope everything works fine.

97 Posts

May 7th, 2014 09:00

I was going to ask a Sales Rep this question...but will I still need to consider an after-market cooler, if buying a new R4 configured with the ALX chassis which comes with the optional "premium CPU liquid cooling solution"?

The Features and Design section on the R4 webpage seems to suggest that if u buy a new system with the standard R4 chassis, it will come with a lower quality CPU cooling solution, that will require buying an after-market cooler like the H80i.

1 Rookie

• 

445 Posts

May 7th, 2014 10:00

I have read about the so called "premium"  cooling solution for the R4, but haven't seen who makes it and what the premium means. I have the standard chassis  R4 that is 19 months old and have not seen the problems many people have had at 12 to 14 months. Just waiting for it to happen though. A friend of mine bought a R4 two months after I did and had to change the liquid cooling out already. He uses his system pretty much the same as I do mine. We still can't figure that one out. He bought the H80i as the replacement.

If I were paying more for something called premium and it was made by Astek, I would be checking it out very closely.

52 Posts

May 7th, 2014 14:00

The ALX chassis and the premium cooling are separate options. Someone previously posted that the premium cooler is the Asetek 545LC. http://asetek.com/desktop/cpu-coolers/545lc.aspx Maybe someone else can confirm this. I have a first gen Aurora which sees daily use running on the original cooler and an R4 with the standard cooler, neither of which have given me any problems. Maybe there was a bad batch put out by Asetek? $100 seems pretty steep for the upgrade, especially since Dell offers very little info about why its any better than the standard cooler.

2 Posts

May 7th, 2014 18:00

Hi, I am also planning to replace with a h80i but how did u plug in ur power pum cable? I know the alienware one is a special one like 6 pin . How can u plug the corsair pump power cable is my major  concern.

38 Posts

May 21st, 2014 10:00

Great job Essay! And kudos for posting those pics where all the connections go. I'm sure a few gamers out there will see that there R4s can swap out their stock pump for a better, cooler pump and could save a few R4s from overheating.  Aside from the increased fan noise, the H80i pump has been working perfectly and has decreased my temps on average 10 C over the stock pump.

May 30th, 2014 22:00

Chris.  I replaced my CPU cooling unit with the corsair h55, which fixed the overheating and powering off problem, but now my smaller system fans run at their max speeds all the time, and my control center doesn't seem to status things correctly.  I'm not sure why these other fans and tempeture setting changed since I did not make any changes to them replacing the liquid cpu assembly, but is there something I can do?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 31st, 2014 14:00

Chris.  I replaced my CPU cooling unit with the corsair h55, which fixed the overheating and powering off problem, but now my smaller system fans run at their max speeds all the time, and my control center doesn't seem to status things correctly.  I'm not sure why these other fans and tempeture setting changed since I did not make any changes to them replacing the liquid cpu assembly, but is there something I can do?

Well, first of all ... if you install an after-market Asetek clone (instead of Dell-OEM part) I would not be surprised is MIO-Board/Command Center don't work quite-right any more.

That is what this project is all about:

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19585441.aspx

Second, I'm pretty sure the original white 4-pin (PWM fan) connector from the MIO-Board to the Motherboard has to stay attached for the MIO-Board to work properly. There are ports on the "top lighting board strip" to connect your radiator fan (like in the original setup).

8 Posts

May 31st, 2014 15:00

We started our project due to the defective cooling system.  My son wanted to change it out himself and needless to say, he damaged the mobo.  I decided that we weren't going to use anymore *** dell parts so we ended up ordering a sweet deal from Newegg.  Asus Maximus VI Hero mobo, processor, and ram.  I am not experienced in building a PC and learned that the original case will only house the original mobo. Next we bought a fantastic Fractal Design Arc XL case.  This case has tons of room, fans and versatile.  I stripped out the aurora 4 parts that were still useful and built an amazing PC using the Corsair h80 cooling unit.  The machine is so quiet, you don't know its running.  A happy and expensive ending to a horrible dell experience.  I will forever build my own equipment from here on.  Great project and check out Neweggs instructional videos as they are a big help.   

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 31st, 2014 16:00

Asus Maximus VI Hero mobo, processor, and ram.

... and learned that the original case will only house the original mobo.

That looks like a full ATX form-factor board. Aurora only holds smaller mATX form motherboards.

Good to hear it worked out in the end for you.

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

May 31st, 2014 19:00

Yeah, dude needed the micro-Asus µATX / mATX / uATX like Sir_Gawain & others like him:

7633_uATX.jpg

desktop sits beautifully on its perch, & a 1250w OCZ psu inside it in "case" there were any doubts ... 

No Events found!