Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 18th, 2017 09:00

Aurora R5 - random lockups and shutdowns

Hi there,

Since November, when I bought a new Aurora R5 with Windows 10 Home 64-bit, I've had a problem of random shutdowns. For example, I'd walk away from my computer and come back an hour later to find it turned off. When I'd press the button, it would boot up as though nothing had happened. The logs would only say that the power was turned off unexpectedly. Other times I'd be doing something random and the cursor would slow down then lock up, and then the system would freeze, go to black and I'd have to restart.

I've done everything but I still get these errors. I have a disk image of a pure Windows 10 install downloaded directly from Microsoft, and I also have one of the Dell ISO. It's still happening with nothing but the core system installed.

System has passed all hardware tests, including extended ePSA diagnostics.

If it helps, I booted into safe mode and left it on overnight, was still on in the morning.

I just got a CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED error writing this post. In the past with everything installed, and DCOM errors resolved, I've had UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION errors. In both cases, BSODs never left me a dump or minidump file of any kind, even when I had it set up to track them.

What does this sound like? Can it still be a hardware issue?

Thanks.

Details:
Hardware Tests:
- ran the Dell System Detect PC Doctor tests - no problems
- ran the ePSA extended diagnostics in the BIOS overnight - no problems

Drivers:
- ensured BIOS was updated
- no issues in Device Manager
- updated all drivers available to my service tag in Alienware drivers page

Software Tests:
-I would see three DCOM errors in the logs (event 10016), resolved those using online instructions

7 Posts

February 19th, 2017 09:00

After doing a successful Memtest, I reinstalled Windows and all recommended drivers for the system from Alienware. One thing I noticed is that a firmware update was released for my 512 GB SSD (CX2-8B512-Q11 NVMe LITEON) that addresses BSODs and other issues. I'm hoping that will fix my problem, which seemed to occur with even the most basic installation. Plus, I think it would make sense that a problem with the hard drive would result in shutdowns and prevent a dump file from being written properly.

FIngers crossed.

7 Posts

February 20th, 2017 10:00

Thanks, will do. I haven't had a crash of any kind for over 24 hours, which is unusual, so I think updating the SSD's firmware fixed  the issue.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

February 20th, 2017 10:00

Hi,

Send me a private message with the service tag if you need further assistance. 

May 8th, 2017 17:00

So was the Hard Drive the issue? were u able to resolve the lock ups and shut downs? If so would you mind giving me some advice on what you did exactly so I can fix my problem too.

May 8th, 2017 17:00

Totally new to this site, but how do I send private messages. I am having the same exact issue and mine wont go away.

No Events found!