Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 4th, 2017 06:00

Aurora R6 upgrades and maintenance questions

So I purchased and received my R6 a few days ago.  After the initial high of owning the coveted Alienware machine, I started to notice I don't really know much about my Aurora or how to properly maintain it.  Firstly, it is the one with water-cooling and it is my first.  From what I have read there is risk of the pump failing or the reservoir needing changing.  I'm not even sure where that is but I can see something like a radiator on the top just beneath the fins.  

I've also been noticing a slight degrade after installing a few games already.  Primarily I do use this machine to run Steam and other games but it seems after just installing half a dozen games on my system, the responsiveness and overall reliability has gone down hill.  One particular annoyance is I will get a black screen if I alt + tab to go to Windows desktop.  Seems like the game is taking reigns and won't let me see the desktop but also refusing to quit completely when I exit it.  It has happened with Days of Infamy 50% of the time which requires me to hard reset the machine.  I cannot explain it because I have not noticed it with other games, namely GTA5, Forza Horizon 3, etc.  I do play Days of Infamy about 8 out of 10 times so that could explain the high frequency at which it happens with that game.

System specs are: 7700k, M.2 256GB, 2TB (storage), 16GB Ram, RX480 8GB.

So I think that's about the essential details.  I have updated to the latest AMD drivers hoping it would solve it but I'm still getting the black screen back to desktop issue.  I'm going to throw in a bigger drive with better speed than the Seagate 2TB they included in the system and bump the memory to 32GB.  The video card is going to be a wait and see if AMD Vega will be worth it or another RX480 in Crossfire is in the cards.  

Hope you guys can help me, I know it's not well formatted and a lot to digest so thanks in advance.

April 4th, 2017 07:00

Hi.

the watercooler is a closed loop. you don't have to deal with it. just don't worry about it. the only thing you could do, is remove dust from inside of your machine from time to time.
like everything else, the cooler could fail but it doesn't happen that often.

black screen issue seems to be game related. i googled a bit and found this for example:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/447820/discussions/0/133256758578929824/
test your machine for a little longer with other games and come back if the problem still persists.

No Events found!