Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 24th, 2012 08:00

Aurora Red Tower Warning Light?

I have an Alienware Aurora desktop configured to purple colors for the normal tower lights.  Yesterday I noticed that one of those lights (on the left side, where the panel opens) has turned red.  (The other side is still purple, as is the little alien guy on the front.)  I'm assuming this indicates a hardware issue of some kind, but a reboot and update to the Alienware tools do not seem to indicate any warnings as to what the issue might be...

Within a couple of minutes of starting a game, I noticed some unusual lag, but there have been no BSODs or other hiccups otherwise.  I was thinking either overheating, memory, or graphics card, but I'm not sure...  Is there a tool to see what the light is all about?

757 Posts

November 24th, 2012 13:00

Open command center and reselect the color purple on the color wheel. This should reset the panel.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 24th, 2012 13:00

You can open AlienFX and change or reset your lights color and Theme. Also check Thermal Controller.

5 Posts

November 24th, 2012 09:00

I ran a Dell PC Diagnostics scan, and the only piece that failed was the DVD-RW Drive: OPU Test...  I guess that might be the issue that it's complaining about?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 24th, 2012 10:00

tearsong

Moving this thread to the Alienware Owners Club Forum.

Bev.

5 Posts

November 24th, 2012 11:00

Whoops - sorry!  Thanks for the move.  :)

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 24th, 2012 21:00

I'd opened it up to blow it out

springy contacts on the door must be mis-shapen ... I don't open mine that much but I've never seen that happen.

Glad to hear you got it working.

5 Posts

November 24th, 2012 21:00

*sheepish grin*  Thanks for the advice on re-selecting the color - it turns out that the blue light had gone out (hence the red effect, since blue and red make purple).  I re-re-seated the panel (I'd opened it up to blow it out and managed to loose the red one, too) till I got all the colors back.  :)

757 Posts

November 26th, 2012 07:00

7318.untitled.bmp

This is most likely the part you are talking about. Dell has re-engineered this part to help prevent the small metal springs from being damaged from simply opening and closing the panel.

Call tech support and email them this picture when you request a replacement to avoid any confusion.

5 Posts

November 27th, 2012 00:00

Unfortunately the computer is 3 - 4 years old and well out of warranty...  I can live with it, now that I know what it is, though.  I was just afraid that some piece of hardware was going bad, since the panel turned red...  :)

No Events found!