Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 18th, 2012 18:00

Aurora Using 3.99 GB of 6 GB of memory

Been having issues with the Aurora I bought last year. After it blue screened I couldn't recover it and I reinstalled everything to factory settings from the system partition. Since the reinstall under system properties Windows 7 (64 bit) says only 3.99GB of 6 memory is being used.

Dell diagnostics tests memory fine but it says my hard drive is dying but I wouldn't think that is related. Diagnostics says 6GB installed.

Entering the BIOS is says 4096MB installed.

Internet searches point to issues with over clocking, but I haven't changed any settings since I bought the thing.

Ideas? Thanks

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 18th, 2012 18:00

Re-seat memory.

Switch around DIMMs in slots.

You only have to go as far as BIOS screen to see if it's reading properly.

What exact processor do you have? Know what type of RAM it is? What Aurora Release model?

49 Posts

May 18th, 2012 23:00

Done, removed all and put each back in a different slot. BIOS says 6GB now, but Windows 7 says using 4.99GB now. Better, but still not right.

I think it's dieing, it's never been a stable computer since the day I got it. It's slowing been getting worse and worse (more crashes, blue screens, not booting), but of course it's out of warranty now.

49 Posts

May 18th, 2012 23:00

Processor: Intel i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz

3 memory modules, 2048MB each, DDR3 PC3-10660 (1333 MHz), mem frequency: 1284MHz

Not sure what Aurora model it is. Bought last Jan 2011

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 19th, 2012 12:00

You have an X58 chipset based Release-1.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 19th, 2012 13:00

Done, removed all and put each back in a different slot. BIOS says 6GB now, but Windows 7 says using 4.99GB now. Better, but still not right.

That is strange (saying 5gb). Usually Windows uses what the BIOS sees (unless you told it otherwise with msconfig boot/advanced).

Download PDF Owners Manual and Service Manual to see RAM config and Slot numbers. There is 2 banks of 3 = 6 slots. Only certain configs (DIMM insertions)  are allowed.

Try each DIMM alone in Slot-1 (Bank 1, Slot 1) and see if all 3 work by themselves. It won't read "tri-channel" but should still work.

You are trying to figure out if it's the DIMMs are bad (and which one) or if it's the motherboard.

Also, you might try resetting BIOS defaults. DO NOT re-flash the BIOS ... just reset it to normal default (non-overclocked) settings.

No Events found!