Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 18th, 2012 09:00

Aurora Win 7 Ultimate + Crossfire 7970 = epic fail

The ALX runs well since i bought it, until recently i did a clean install windows 7 on my SSD , all is good,  but when it boot to desktop for the first time,....

- it cant connect to internet,

- and it cant complete MOST installation process (stuck at 99% in almost any programs).

- it cant shut down. (freezing circle )

- it cant update anything windows related.

...Anyway, the only good thing is windows recognise the 2nd card, and Catalyst also runs Crossfire. i took out the 2nd GPU , and shut down, and it cant even to shutdown (freeze). so i hard shutdown with power button . So yeah Took out the 2nd GPU , all is well now. connect to internet, windows update and all. Install everything perfectly fine. But whenever i PLUG in the 2nd GPu back , the problems arise again. 1st noticeable problem is i couldnt connect to internet. and freeze during instalation, or shutting down. Do i need to reset my CMOS in order to Crossfire the GPU ? it runs very well for the past 2 months...its all begin when i reformat the OS.

i did :

- running both card single config ( both cards performs same , no problems )

- running both card crossfire config on skyrim + bf3 ( super perfect no problems )

- Clean install win 7 several times. ( super fine until boot to desktop and bizarre problems arise)

- reinstall driver, boot into safe mode , use driver cleaner, restart, reinstall NEWEST version of catalyst.

Please any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 18th, 2012 13:00

Ya, well ... in OP you said stuff like this:

- Clean install win 7 several times. ( super fine until boot to desktop and bizarre problems arise)

I would hardly call this "super fine". If it can't run Windows Desktop it is broken.

I think you might be missing something early, and then it gets too confusing later. Do what I said above.  Hardware should be bare minimum simple config. Reference my thread on "Clean Install Windows 7". Run WEI Performance Test. Load Heaven Benchmark, Prime95, etc. and test to the max. Only proceed past there if it's working properly. You must make sure Motherboard, RAM, and CPU are perfectly stable before putting all the fancy stuff back in.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Remove ALL OverClocks (MB, GPU, etc).

Clean install to a known good drive (not new SSD) with only one 7970. Try to make a good portion of hardware work good/stable first, so you can move forward and look for problems elsewhere.

Be sure you are installing drivers in proper order ... or, at least ChipSet first. It's a R3 SandyBridge. Maybe just get the latest from Intel.com.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

And after you get a simple config working, testing stable ... only change one-thing-at-a-time (and pass all testing again) before moving on to the next thing.

85 Posts

thx for the help tesla, but the previous installation when everything is super fine with no problem was in this SSD. i remember just now,  this happened before, then i leave it running only single card for awhile, about a week or so i tried adding the 2nd gpu back and surprisingly Windows now can connect to internet, no freeze etc. i totally have no idea what did i do back then. but now its coming back , if i put that 2nd gpu on the mobo windows wont like it. no internet, no install everything, no shutting down ( freeze). basically cant do anything except gaming ( gaming performance is fine )

85 Posts

March 21st, 2012 06:00

did everything. all is stable now. memtest n prime are no errors overnight. BUT i got BSOD of 1a everytime i play bf3...

all the bsod always the same..1a..

here is the dump files >>>

- - Windows 7 Ultimate Professional 6.1.7601 1.0 1033 9 1 - - Microsoft ISATAP Adapter *ISATAP tunnel tunnel.sys - USB Root Hub USB\ROOT_HUB&VID8086&PID3A36&REV0000 usbhub usbhub.sys - Generic volume shadow copy STORAGE\VolumeSnapshot - VIA 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3403&SUBSYS_02F71028&REV_00 1394ohci 1394ohci.sys - Intel(R) 5520/5500/X58 I/O Hub GPIO and Scratch Pad Registers - 3422 PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3422&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_13 - Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A35 PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A35&SUBSYS_02F71028&REV_00 usbuhci base

406 Posts

March 21st, 2012 14:00

1a is related to faulty, incorrectly set timings, or the need for more voltage on the ram. I would start by pulling all the sticks out of the system and looking at them to make sure they are all the same brand of memory, then I would write down the ram timings which should be displayed on the side of the ram sticks on a sticker the timings should look something like 9-9-9-24 or something similar (all timings on sticks should match as well). I would then put the ram back into the system if they are all the same brand and have the same timings on all sticks, then I would go into the bios and set the timings manually and increase the dram voltage to 1.75v.

To enter the bios restart the computer hit F2 then browse the bios until you find the Frequency/Voltage Control menu, enter the Frequency/Voltage Control menu and find the Overvoltage Configuration Submenu, enter the Overvoltage Configuration Submenu and set the DDR3 Memory Voltage to 1.75 volts, then exit the Overvoltage Configuration Submenu and go back to the Frequency/Voltage Control menu then find the  Advance DRAM Configuration Submenu, enter the Advance DRAM Configuration Submenu and find Advanced Memory Settings and set to manual mode, then set the tCL, tRCD, tRP, tRAS & 1T/2T Timing according to what your ram stick timings say on the sticker.

e.g sticks say 9-9-9-24 on sticker... so you would set the...

tCL = 9

tRCD = 9

tRP = 9

tRAS = 24

The 1T/2T timing isn't showed on your sticks so set it to 2T for stability. Exit the bios and save changes by pressing F10.

Test BF3, still having the same problem? Yes or No?

If yes, you may need to buy some more ram or have dell send you some replacement sticks as yours are faulty.

If no, enjoy!

406 Posts

March 21st, 2012 23:00

Try 1.75 volts. If your ram is rated for 1.65 volts it's completely safe to run them @ 1.75 volts. Did you even look at the stickers on the side of the ram sticks to make sure they are all the same brand and are running at the correct timings? The sticker will also tell you what voltage they should run at.... e.g. 9-9-9-24 @ 1.65v

85 Posts

March 21st, 2012 23:00

i checked on my bios , the ram already ran at that speed u mentioned. 999 24 , 2T. i raised the voltage to 1.6 but still got a BSOD 1a error...

85 Posts

March 23rd, 2012 05:00

ALL IS GOOD now. just by ...resetting the CMOS...ZERO BSOD . cant believe resetting cmos really help this much though..

10 Posts

May 9th, 2012 16:00

Did u still have problems or is 100% gone now after the cmos reset

85 Posts

May 13th, 2012 10:00

all gone xcept one problem. while playing bf3 , 50/50 chances the 2nd GPU isn't running 100%, sometimes it does . and when it doesnt, the 2nd gpu runs 10-20 % less than the 1st GPU. resulting in a way LESS fps. TRIED everything but none works.

10 Posts

May 13th, 2012 16:00

i found a way , havent try with battlefield 3 yet but everything else run just fine! go to the bios and disable e-sata and firewire ports and that should balance the problem and eveything should work perfect!

No Events found!