Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 1st, 2014 13:00

Aurora....about 6 months old Question on Reinstall

I bought my Aurora about 6 months ago.  I had originally wanted an SSD with two 3TB drives in RAID 1, and I was told that wasn't available at the time, that I'd have to either buy the single SSD, or the RAID 0 and then do a clean install.

Because I don't want to endanger my warranty, is there any detailed documentation on what I must do, in what order, to rebuild this machine to the original specs with a single 512 SSD and two 3-TB RAID 1 HDD?

• 

2.7K Posts

December 3rd, 2014 09:00

I will recommend you to do the upgrade through the Dell sales department that way you will not have any problem with the replacement and the parts will carry on the system warranty. 

12 Posts

December 3rd, 2014 12:00

Is that a real recommendation based on warranty, or based on Dell?  Because their selection of SSDs is limited and their prices are all considerably higher than other places.  I mean....considerably higher.  

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 3rd, 2014 13:00

Adding drives does not void your warranty (as long as you don't break something yourself).

If you have an ALX model with no cables in front (and the rear back-plane) you probably should buy the Dell 2.5" SSD caddy. Install in one of the lowest number slots for full Sata-III/6-Gbs speed.

I suggest a Samsung SSD or one of these:

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19568143

Instead of RAID-1 3tb consider instead making second 3tb drive just another drive. Reserve it for full system drive partition image backups that happen nightly or weekly.  You would have a whole period hierarchy of backups of all drives.

12 Posts

December 3rd, 2014 14:00

Thank you for your post. 

I will look at different SSDs.  I have the ability to buy a 512MB 840 Pro for $235, which is a really good deal.

I will read through your documents you linked to, as well.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 3rd, 2014 15:00

I have the ability to buy a 512MB 840 Pro for $235,

Oh ya? ... Where is that sale?

12 Posts

December 3rd, 2014 17:00

Well.....it was that price when I put it in my cart 3 days ago, since then it appears to have increased to 279 on Amazon. Maybe it was down for Black Friday.  It's still a decent price.

No Events found!