Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 28th, 2010 15:00

Aurora dual 5770s crossfire low fps

First post for me here, system specs in sig.

I got my new Alienware Aurora the week before Christmas.. yay! I fired it up and woohoo, its awesome...  So I installed windows updates, installed WoW Cataclysm etc, ready to rock.

Launched WoW and setup video settings to moderate high for display on my Dell SP2309W with desktop resolution set to 2048 x 1152, game resolution set to 1920 x 1080 windowed fullscreen...

No Joy, I'm getting an average of 24FPS!  everywhere :(  I turned down game video settings, cleaned and updated CCC to 10.12, FPS wont move. Crossfire is enabled according to CCC and GPU-Z and CCC is set to application prefs. Still 22-26FPS no matter what I do to the AA settings, resolution, Anistropic, Vsync off, etc.

My old computer running a GT240 on a pentium core2 duo with 2Gb of dual channel ram was getting an easy average of 40FPS.

To be honest, I bought this system to play WoW on, as it was a no brainer... high end system = better performance.  2x 5770s should be getting me 60FPS or more I would think, I mean people are plaing Crysis and F.E.A.R. with smooth hi-res maxxed out settings with these cards, why oh why am I doing so poorly?

I would be grateful for any help/suggestions

14 Posts

December 28th, 2010 16:00

I don't play World of Warcraft but I'm going to piggybacking off of the last post... Can you just leave both cards in and disable crossfire in CCC when playing Blizzard games? When you have a game that likes/uses crossfire, re-enable it in CCC. Would that work?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

I don't play World of Warcraft but I'm going to piggybacking off of the last post... Can you just leave both cards in and disable crossfire in CCC when playing Blizzard games? When you have a game that likes/uses crossfire, re-enable it in CCC. Would that work?

You should be able to do that in the Profile (for the specific game or app).

13 Posts

Hello Cydonia! Welcome to our community. I too play wow and whenever i see a WOW related post on here i post to help people out.

Blizzard does not support Crossfire in game atm. It just seems to error out and cause super bad spikes and lag in any Blizzard game, (starcraft 2 as well). I have had numerous people post here about duel 5770's1 5870's and 5970's being low fps in wow.

You can do a few things here, You can manually take out one of the 5770's, crank everything to max and play like normal, I would expect you to get 40-60fps in org or stormwind.

Another thing would be to contact dell and see if you can return either the system or the cards and upgrade to a single 5870 or 5970. I personally have a single 5870 that i run and get around 130fps consistantly. I have another 5870 that i got with my system that orginally was in crossfire. I too had bad fps and contacted blizzard about it. They told me to remove the bottem card, I did and i ended up getting about 100fps better then i did with 2 cards. It seems weird i know, but others on here as well will tell you that crossfire, even SLI for Nvidia cards really do not run the best with WOW or Starcraft.

Reguards

18 Posts

That was going to be my next question too regarding a disable through CCC. I just tried the non windowed mode and i now get the xfire logo, but alas and alack, same FPS.

Thanks for the quick replies gang :)

13 Posts

Also, go do this, Download this and run this script. http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info13581-LeatrixLatencyFix.html For wow as a healer and a tank, it really means a lot to me to have my latency as good as it can get. Missing a heal or a taunt when i need it most can wipe a raid. Download this, run it, then reboot, will reduce your latency by over half!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Install the latest AMD-ATI CCC Profiles or create your own for WoW.

Be sure your NIC is connecting at 1000 or 100 (highest your router/switch supports).

If your monitor is 16:9, but that native resolution is too taxing in game, you can select a slightly lower standard 16:9 res and it should scale and look fine (non-windowed) full screen.

I think these guys are saying CrossFireX doesn't work in a Window (must be full-screen).

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/304140-33-doesn-support-crossfired

EDIT:

While Blizzard keeps coming out with new WoW "versions" I think the base game engine is fairly dated by now. On the good side, the game is not very graphically demanding. We run it fine (at 1680x1050 and pretty high visual settings) on the XPS-410 in my sig below.

431 Posts

December 28th, 2010 17:00

P.S. i get the same frames in windowed mode. That other forum post was for a 6870 right when it was released so the scaling for crossfire probably hadnt been updated by blizz yet.

14 Posts

hmmm, so i disabled xfire in CCC, lowered all video setings, and viola! 19-22FPS

I guess I'll have to try ripping out one card. Do I detach both of the bridges? (there are 2)

Hmm... I am assuming you rebooted after you disabled crossfire just to make sure the settings took effect? If it is anything like a 5970, yes you can take off the connected crossfire bridges when running one card.

You could try completely removing CCC and the ATI driver and then reinstall; seeing that someone is able to run crossfire.

18 Posts

hmmm, so i disabled xfire in CCC, lowered all video setings, and viola! 19-22FPS

I guess I'll have to try ripping out one card. Do I detach both of the bridges? (there are 2)

431 Posts

IT IS NOT CROSSFIRE. I dunno where this other person got their information but I am running SC2 and WoW maxed with at least 60fps avg. In WoW with out vertical sync I get like 200 fps. I am running two 5670's in crossfire. crossfire works fine with blizzard games. I would not be able to run sc2 maxed with a single 5670. I would download 3dmark and a processor benchmark of your choice. see if they come back with the right scores. A single 5770 should play WoW close to my two 5670's so I dont think its your GPUs. Maybe a processor or mobo issue.

18 Posts

December 29th, 2010 08:00

I had not rebooted after disabling xfire, but now I have and same result. Good call on the internet connection, but its the same connection I was using before (again, my previous system had a GT240. Heck, it might have been a GT220...  1920 x 1080 with high settings at 40FPS).

I'm not sure the profiler in CCC is loaded correctly . I did download from AMD and installed it, but there are no profiles to choose from in CCC. I remember seeing they showed a profile from Lich King on the site from an earlier version, and it states that if you download the latest one, you get all previous profiles included. Going to do some research on that today. Getting somewhat frustrated here with my awesome new rig with underwhelming performance.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions.

1 Message

December 29th, 2010 09:00

I just ordered a the same setup (dual 5770) to play wow along with fps games.   Please let us know how this works out for you. My delivery date is the 14th If this thread is still active then, I will update it with my results.

431 Posts

December 29th, 2010 12:00

Ok you should not have to load any special profiles for WoW or any other game really. If you disabled crossfire with only one 5770 you should get EXCELLENT frames in WoW.  I doubt you have two faulty video cards. I would try installing a different video driver test out the one from dell too. When I first got my alienware it would not work right with the most updated video drivers but only the ones dell offered which were horribly dated. So I reformatted COMPLETELY. Now I am able to run the latest catalyst not to mention the whole PC performs better without all the junk. You could try that.

18 Posts

December 29th, 2010 12:00

When I first got my alienware it would not work right with the most updated video drivers but only the ones dell offered which were horribly dated. So I reformatted COMPLETELY. Now I am able to run the latest catalyst not to mention the whole PC performs better without all the junk. You could try that.

Do you mean to say that you completly reformatted the entire operating system? I haven't noticed a bunch of bloatware other than McAfee. But hey, if it works I guess its worth a shot. I might reserve that as a last resort. Maybe I'll do the old Dell drivers first.

431 Posts

December 29th, 2010 14:00

Yes I used the OS cd and reformatted the drive completely even the recovery partition.  If you have not tried to Dell drivers I would recommend that first because they should be proven to work for that computer. Sadly if those work you will still have outdated drivers but at least youll know its not a hardware issue and you can always reformat for the new drivers. The alienware stuff is the bloat. The command center was the most taxing on the PC. I just picked the color I wanted before formatting and never reinstalled it. so much better.

No Events found!