Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

October 17th, 2009 08:00

Aurora price ?

First I called Dell with this question, after I got to a real person, that I could not understand ( english was bad and it sounded like her mike was too close to her mouth). I never got a clear answer.

All I wanted to know is what is the difference between the Aurora and the Aurora ALX models. There is a thousand doller difference even when I spec the same options in each system. Is it that the ALX uses better componets, different manufacture componets, better systems. Or is Dell just puting ALX on the end of the name to charge more.

I see that the basic machines are different, but when I spec them out the same the price difference is still there.

18 Posts

October 17th, 2009 10:00

Well for one the processors are different in the basic as well as the power supply . IF you take an Aurora basic and customize it with the 875w ps and the 975 processor the prices are almost identical. I suspect that this is the big difference between the two what comes as a standard before you customize it

1 Rookie

• 

23 Posts

October 17th, 2009 12:00

I customize the basic Aurora to the Aurora ALX that I ordered ( same power supply, processor, hard drive, etc. As according to the web site). The specs are the same, but the price is different. Why?

Could the Aurora basic, customize 875w  power supply be from ABC company and the Aurora ALX standed  875w power supply be from XYZ company?  I'm trying to find out that I did'nt waste a thousand dollers just to have ALX after the Aurora name.

18 Posts

October 17th, 2009 13:00

After going through the configs a bit more in detail I come out with about a 300 difference between the two. With basic Aurora being the cheaper on fully configured like the ALX edition. I find it a bit hard to believe that there would be that much difference in actual components. Dell generally does not use different grades of the same components so your original question does bear a reasonable explanation.

11 Posts

October 19th, 2009 07:00

Well ofcourse you have the difference in chassis. The ALX has more lights in the front of the case and huge air vents on the top that can be opened and closed (which look totally awesome by the way). And since Alienware is notorious for expensive cases this might just be the cause of the 300 bucks price difference (altho that would be MAD). But you probably knew that already and took it in consideration while buying. But otherwise I cant really see any reason for the price difference. Thats why I chose the regular Aurora over the ALX. (but I'll really miss the flippy floppy air vents hehe)

21 Posts

October 19th, 2009 15:00

I would like some difference in the Aurora and the ALX also. I looked into  both and on the ALX yes the chassis gills is different, but also you get the alienware keyboard and mouse. that's another $200.00 difference  Thanks to herig1 he told me about this site so I am posting. I am wanting to purchase an alienware but not for sure which one. They have the area 51 out and still not sure which way to go. Your input is greatly appreciated. 

11 Posts

October 20th, 2009 02:00

Do you mean the regular Alienware Multimedia Keyboard + Alienware Optical Mouse? 'cause they come with the regular Aurora too.. At least in Holland they do.. If you get the TactX mouse etc. included with the ALX then it would make some sense. As for the Area 51, it wasn't for sale yet when I placed the order for my Aurora, but it seems it's got the same problem as the ALX.. MUCH more expensive then a regular Aurora with the same specs.

Dutch Dell is ripping me of anyway, since they charge the same price in euro's as they charge for dollars in America. Paid 1600 euros (2400 american dollars) for a PC worth 1600 dollar. Ah well. I'm happy with the regular Aurora.. Room for 2 powerful videocards, 24Ghz RAM and the same processors as the others.. What would you need more?

Oh yeah I know now: For them to actually SEND it to me within a reasolable timespan!

Have fun choosing your machine!

21 Posts

October 20th, 2009 20:00

Thanks MrDario here in the States Dell wants to charge you $99.00 dollars for the Alienware tactx keyboard and $99.00 for the mouse. If you buy the ALX it comes with the package. So you get the Alienware  tactx keyboard and the mouse with the plain Aurora? How do you like the Aurora is it had any problems, I ask this question because I had the XPS 435T/9000 and had night mares. I ended up having to send it back and it took 3 order delays and when I  first booted the machine it  ended up rebooting every 10 min. repeatedly. I believe it was either the motherboard or a hard drive. I turned it back to Dell  for a refund. Just wondering how well is the Aurora line.

21 Posts

October 20th, 2009 21:00

MrDario after reading your reply I see that you do not get the tactx with the plain vanilla, sorry my bad. Thats what I get when I do not  take time to read the complete sentence. I would like to know how you like the machine when you get it. Thanx's buddy.

I got some other qestion that I need help on:

I am looking for the difference between the regular aurora to the premium ALX. I am wondering is Dell charging you and extra $200.00 dollars for clocking the i7 975 to 3.6 Mhz. when  I believe on the alienware line you are able to overclock yourself? And are you getting a 875 watt PS for the extra $80.00 dollars? If anyone out there in the community has the answers that I am looking for I would appreciate it if you could help clear things up for me.

1 Rookie

• 

23 Posts

October 21st, 2009 14:00

CHECK YOUR ORDER

When I order the Aupora ALX the print summary included ( as it shoud have ) the TactX mouse ( item # 330-6078 ). After the order was place, I did't even catch it untill last week. The order detail print out, and the packing slip, list the Dell MG900 USB  mouse ( item # 330-5780 ) not the TactX mouse. Its not a big deal to me, as I'm spoiled by my wireless mouse, that I'm planning to use instead. However a  price adjustment would be nice.

21 Posts

October 21st, 2009 21:00

I believe you are correct. Make note to self!!!   Check order and make sure you have looked over the build before  pushing  the button.

13 Posts

October 26th, 2009 21:00

The difference in price is due to the Keyboard/Mouse Combo, and case. That's about it.
There is a slight difference in the Ram available, but not enough of one to justify such a substancial price difference

Eliminate the KB/Mouse and Ram difference, and what it comes down to in the end is you are paying a $100 premium for the ALX case. ie: $100 for a couple extra lights and some gimmicky fins.

No Events found!