Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 16th, 2012 17:00

BD-Rom Problem.

When I got my Alienware Aurora ALX in 2010 I remember playing blurays in it with no problem.  I didn't use it to play Blurays for a while and when I tried it earlier today it couldn't detect the blurays I put in it.  I tried over 10 and still nothing.  CDs and DVDs work fine.

I thought to update the drivers, went to my products on the dell account page and couldn't find any drivers for CD/BD roms.  Under the BD-Rom properties it says my device is olavix ezw1yfsp6 scsi cdrom device if that helps.  Any help would be appreciated as well as telling me what other information I need to give you.  Thanks very much for your time.

2 Intern

• 

835 Posts

June 20th, 2012 16:00

Hi Nsmith41,

Here's a few troubleshooting steps that will help you resolving this issue. Try that and let me know how it goes.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 20th, 2012 17:00

I think this thread provides good trouble-shooting steps (and pitfalls to watch for).

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19453467/20126124.aspx#20126124

2.4K Posts

June 21st, 2012 01:00

When I got my Alienware Aurora ALX in 2010 I remember playing blurays in it with no problem.  I didn't use it to play Blurays for a while and when I tried it earlier today it couldn't detect the blurays I put in it.  I tried over 10 and still nothing.  CDs and DVDs work fine.

I thought to update the drivers, went to my products on the dell account page and couldn't find any drivers for CD/BD roms.  Under the BD-Rom properties it says my device is olavix ezw1yfsp6 scsi cdrom device if that helps.  Any help would be appreciated as well as telling me what other information I need to give you.  Thanks very much for your time.

Can you go to device manager and tell me what is listed under DVD/CD-Rom Devices.

Dell uses off-the-shelf $250 dollar BD-Rom burners in some of thier Alienware systems but ( to reduce price? ) they use firmware that retard the performance. They can be flashed to the retail version which restores full off-the-shelf performance. The firmware update could also fix your detection issue. I can point you in the right direction if you can tell me what drive you have.

I can also show you how to play a BD without using HDMI connection so you can watch your movies on a monitor that only has a VGA or DVI connection.

No Events found!