Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 1st, 2016 09:00

BSODs when running "Dell Support Assist" on a15 r2

Dell Support Assist is causing BSODs  every time it is launched on my new a15 r2 shipped with Win 10 installed. Most times that is BAD_POOL_HEADER and few times that was a kernel panic. Hardware tests run from F12 boot menu are Ok. Is it some known problem with this app. ? Just wondering why the stuff that is supposed to help with troubleshooting is in fact the troublemaker. 

February 1st, 2016 10:00

This worked fine for awhile but like you just tried to run it today and keeping getting BSOD. Same testing and results. Reminds me of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Find it a bit daft that a guard would be guarding a guard. So do we need support software to test the support software problems.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 3rd, 2016 12:00

Well, it looks like there is a conflict between the app. and Intel DPTF driver. Right after the crash I see

Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework : ESIF(8.1.10603.192) TYPE: ERROR

DPTF Build Version: 8.1.10603.192
DPTF Build Date: Aug 7 2015 10:44:44
Source File: ..\..\..\..\Sources\Policies\ConfigTdpPolicy\ConfigTdpPolicy.cpp @ line 144
Executing Function: ConfigTdpPolicy::onBindDomain
Participant: TCPU [5]
Domain: PKG [0]
Policy: ConfigTDP Policy [0]

in Applications event log

61 Posts

February 6th, 2016 19:00

I can confirm that this issue is also happening on Alienware 17 R3. I've created a separate post regarding a solution for this BSOD. It may assist you in resolving this similar issue - if you do cross-check my post, and it does, let us know!

Also, for the record: I've ran memtest, dell's F12 3hr bios extended system tests, and SupportAssist (when it's working properly) 10 min, 30 min, etc. system/hardware tests as well....all came back SYSTEM/HARDWARE good/ok!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 7th, 2016 11:00

ok I see your post

true

but actually I already have 8.1.10603.192 DPTF drivers installed (BTW this version is printed in my previous post above).  Today I've tried to run Support Assist once again and it crashed with IRQ_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD in some storage driver. After reboot I started SA once again and amazingly got it run stable. But when I exit and started it once again got the same BAD_POOL_HEADER BSOD

17 Posts

February 8th, 2016 12:00

I'd like to add my voice to this discussion. I've had a terrible time dealing with BSODs on my 17R3 as well pretty consistently since my purchase in December 2015. After a number of factory resets and restoring system images to last known good configuration I've finally gotten to the point where I haven't BSODed for 2 days. However this exact issue is the last remaining problem I have (hopefully).

I will certainly always get a BAD POOL HEADER BSOD when I try to run the Dell Support Assist program. If I try multiple times, after each reboot I will get it on iastora.sys, hal.dll, and a couple of other files (viewed in Blue Screen View).  ePSA passes fully other diagnostics I run like Sandra, Windows Memory diagnostic, chkdsk etc. also pass without issue. BIOS and drivers are latest.

I have resorted to completely uninstalling Support Assist, Support Agent and any other Dell related diagnostics programs to get a stable PC.  BTW neither of the drivers mentioned above have made any difference.

I'm pretty much at my wits end. Hopefully Rodrigo or someone in Dell Support can take this thread into consideration and seriously look into this.

February 17th, 2016 06:00

I had same issue with Alienware 15 R2 purchased just 5 days back. Daily within 12-24 hrs BSOD was occurring. Finally got some clue in windows 10 Event Viewer and got it confirmed that Dell Support Assist was the culprit. I could reproduce BSOD by just starting the Support Assist application and wait for few seconds. Finally, I uninstalled the Dell Support Assist and Dell Support Assist Agent.

1 Message

March 5th, 2016 18:00

I get the same bad pool BSOD with Dell Support Assit when I ran it so I too uninstalled it.  My system is a brand new Alienware 15 R2 just received from Dell on 2/28/16

No Events found!