Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 23rd, 2013 06:00

Bad DVD Reader on M15X - Alt Replacement

Having this laptop for almost three years i barely used the DVD player, because I had not need too. During a power outage this past summer, I pulled out the trusty laptop to try and watch a DVD until the power came on. No-Go. I was furious as I had already had to have a speaker replaced during the regular warranty period - and now this, in a time of need?

Anyway, I have read here in the forums and elsewhere that these drives drop like flies, so I would like to know if anyone has found alternative replacement? I do not want to buy the same piece of garbage.

I have tried every fix in the book, to no avail. It will read CD-R, DVD-R but not "factory" DVD's.

Thanks in advance!

4 Operator

• 

2K Posts

March 25th, 2013 01:00

Hi noisegate95,

I am sorry that you are feeling this way. The DVD drive is good as all the discs apart from the factory DVDs are working fine. I request you check for the decoder online and once that is installed the DVD issue should be fixed.

If you have further questions please reply to this thread.

March 25th, 2013 04:00

Thanks for the reply however I am not sure what you mean by a decoder. The drive is also not reading "data" dvd's either. I already have VLC and Divx codecs on my machine and can view iso movies just fine, it that is what you mean...

4 Operator

• 

2K Posts

March 26th, 2013 04:00

Hi noisegate95,

VLC and DivX codecs will do, that’s what I meant. Thank you for the update. You may use the below link and run the MS FIXIT which may help fix the issue:

http://bit.ly/WdDJ2y

If you have further questions please reply to this thread.

No Events found!