Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 14th, 2013 11:00

Bootmgr missing and cannot boot from optical drive

Hello I have a laptop M17X R1/R2 and attempted to do alienrespawn to restore to factory settings. Everything was going great but the computer was shut down during back/restore. Now alienrespawn just sitting at Microsoft corporation loading screen endlessly. So I said screw it I will just wipe it and do a fresh install. I went into bios and changed to boot from cd/dvd(optical drive) and saved. It restarted and went on like normal but before I received a "hit any key to boot from cd drive" message, I receive a BOOTMGR is missing, restart crtl+alt+del to restart I've tried restarting with the restore cd provided from Alienware. Not recognized and fails to boot again. Tried with windows 7 ultimate DVD and fails to boot I hit F8 and I am never prompted to restore computer or enter safe mode etc. a small gray loading bar at the bottom of the POST test and it just loads normal then fails at bootmgr missing I restored bios to default, then returning cd rom to run first, same failures. I've sat at the loading screen for restore options form close to an hour with no results. I let the computer stay off for 20 minute hoping for small reset or cool down and see if the mgrboot wad a flue, nothing. I am at a lose of what to do. When in does try to start from from cd it gives me these messages, Only reason I say it try's to start is the drive makes some noise likes its being used. NVIDA BOOT AGENT 253.0543 Copyright Copyright PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable PXE-M0F: exiting NVIDA boot agent. Press F10 for AlienRespawn v2.0 System Recovery....... BOOTMGR is missing press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart I have ensured the DVD cd rom startup is picked by using boot menu as well. Really lost on what to do.

February 14th, 2013 12:00

Hello Rizikranger,

Try to boot from that disc in a different computer, if it doesn’t boot, the problem is the disc.

If it boots fine, there could be an issue with your ODD or HDD.

In that case, use WinToFlash to transfer a windows installation kit from a disc to a USB Flash drive and try to boot from it. This video will show you how.

Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

February 14th, 2013 16:00

Disc worked on another computer. Downloading the wintoflash and hoping it works. If I still cannot get it to work, would u suggest pulling the hard drives to remove that stupid bootmgr missing? Also I want to upgrade to ssd. I know it will void the warranty that I have that is expired, but which size HD is it in terms of physical measurement

No Events found!