Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 8th, 2011 06:00

Bought a new M14x...does not start but gives 4 beeps then pause and 4 beeps again continuously...

I just recently bought a m14x laptop from the alienware site. Used it for like 10 mins max to transfer photos. Then I bought the laptop to Pakistan, where I live, and turned it on and got a blue screen that said something memory. Anyway I turned it on again and it started beeping so I decided to charge it. The problem is whenever I turn on my laptop it just gives me 4 beeps with a pause and then 4 beeps again. It keeps going on like this, the screen does not turn on. Now since I'm in Pakistan i lack the American technical support....my warranty is just a few days old. I really need a solution to this 4 beep problem and disappointed in Dell for their faulty problems. HELP!

2.4K Posts

July 8th, 2011 10:00

Try to reseat the memory and see if that helps any. Just pull it out and then put it back into the system.

2.4K Posts

July 8th, 2011 14:00

I would call Dell then since it's new. If you want to try to find out whats wrong on your own then you need to find out what brand BIOS you have and then look up the beep code.

Did you try it with just one stick of ram? That may get you back up and running. Try each one and see if it will boot. You could try booting it with no ram and see if you get the same 4 beeps.

10 Posts

July 8th, 2011 14:00

I tried that...I took the rams out and placed em back...put one ram in the other slot and it still didn't work.  Still get the continuous 4 beeps...its a brand new laptop why is it already at fault??!

10 Posts

July 31st, 2011 12:00

So i sat down and decided to play around with the 3 RAM cards that I have, the new 4gb one and two 2gb ones that came with the laptop.

Turns out all my RAMs work, even the one I thought that was defected, on the front RAM slot but whenever I put any of the RAMs in the back slot I get the 4 beeps when I turn on the laptop.

Continuous 4 beeps over and over again.

I know I'm putting the RAM the right way, its the same way as the front side, so that cant be the problem. Sadly i think the second RAM slot just isnt working.

This wasn't the case when I first used the laptop It worked in the beginning till after my 5th use. When I loaded up the system I got a blue screen with a memory error and then the 4 beeps started. Now my 2nd slot doesnt work.

PLease somebody help me, I cant use my warranty cause no Dell here where I live. Please help. Thanks.

215 Posts

August 1st, 2011 08:00

I have had that beeping sound on two machines I have own over the years.   Both times, a memory slot was the issue.  What I did was, which seems you are doing, I tried a trial an error routine by starting the machine with only one memory stick on one memory slot...Then tried it again moving the memory to another memory slot to see if that worked and so on.  I found the memory slot not working and left it unused.  Both machines worked fine after that.  Is this the case with yours now?

It sucks you are overseas.  This should have been handled by Dell Warranty.  

Good luck.

1.2K Posts

August 1st, 2011 10:00

well this can be caused by 3 possible things... bad Ram Slot .... motherboard controller issue and or  CPU not properly seated as odd as it sounds  i have had this happen with a desktop after transporting  and i was gonna say 4 but we know the ram is tested fine

10 Posts

August 3rd, 2011 18:00

Thanks for the help everyone but sadly I think the problem is indeed a hardware failure, the RAM slot is just not working. The RAM cards that I tried were the default Samsung ones that came with it and the new Kingston 4gb RAM I recently bought.

All the RAMs work fine on the first slot but not the second. The behind slot just doesn't seem to work. Anytime I put a RAM in the behind slot the laptop just makes those 4 beeps over and over again. 

And this problem was not present the first few times I used my laptop in America. After I came to Pakistan and turned on the laptop I got a blue screen error that said something about memory fail and after that the 2nd RAM slot never worked. I don't know how it happened, I was carrying the laptop in its bag with me the whole time.

Sadly Pakistan does not support Alienware m14x model. I got this from a mail from Dell themselves while trying to transfer my warranty so now I'm screwed. Anyone know what I can do? Is it a hopeless case? Thanks in advance.

No Events found!