Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 7th, 2015 20:00

Bug report: Dell SupportAssist Agent Version 1.0.0 with AW17R2

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but with PC-Doctor on our AW17R2's being replaced by this application, I found what I think is a bug.

After installation, and every ten minutes after, the machine freezes and left fan kicks in on high for 5 seconds, then the right fan for 5 seconds, but while its doing this, the mouse freezes and HDD activity stops while its doing this test every ten minutes or so.

After rebooting thinking it was a driver it installed for low-level diagnostics and it was just not properly initialized, it continued 10 minutes after booting back into the system.

This is on a AW17 R2 with 4710, GTX980m, Windows 7 64-bit.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 8th, 2015 14:00

Hopefully, they will look into it.

In the mean-time, check the AlienFusion Service. Those lock-up symptoms sure sound familiar.

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19345228

It should be fixed by now, but seems to crop-up from time-to-time when the AlienFusionService has a bad connection to PowerProfiles.

109 Posts

February 8th, 2015 17:00

Yeah, I've seen that thread. I'm using CC 4.0.54 and no issues here except once the new application is installed I have this issue which is supposed to replace AlienAutopsy.

1 Message

February 12th, 2015 12:00

I too am experiencing the same problems you outlined after the install of SupportAssist.

This is on a Alienware 14, Windows 8 64-bit.

How do I disable SupportAssist or even revert to AlienAutopsy?

109 Posts

February 12th, 2015 19:00

If you removed alienautopsy, you would need to uninstall this application, then download Autopsy again from the Drivers and Downloads portal on dell.ca. If you have both installed, just remove this app. I tried both ways thinking they were conflicting but it does it as a stand alone application also.

12 Posts

February 12th, 2015 20:00

I tried to redownload AlienAutospy from: http://www.dell.ca/support/contents/us/en/19/article/Product-Support/Dell-Subsidiaries/alienware-support-site/alien-autopsy#mce_temp_url#

But the installer when launched shows SupportAssist, is it even possible to get AlienAutospy? I don't trust SupportAssist since it already had that fan berserk bug and my computer got slower when DataVault was enabled.

23 Posts

February 12th, 2015 23:00

I tried re-installing AlienAutopsy too but it doesn't work any more. I removed all the new updates from Dell and disabled the automatic updating. The fan on the right side of my M17x r4 was running like a jet engine and my mouse cursor was lagging. All back to normal now that everything is removed. 

February 13th, 2015 13:00

Hi guys

I am checking with the software team

I will have a solution for this issue soon, I apologize for the inconvinience this is causing you

109 Posts

February 13th, 2015 14:00

For now, just remove SupportAssist. AlienAutospy now auto-updates to supportassist and will cause this problem again.

1 Message

February 13th, 2015 16:00

Hi all,

I would like to add that I am experiencing exactly the same issue on an Inspiron 7720 machine. Every, let's say, a minute and a half the system freezes for more or less a second. Freezes in the sense of audio/video/cursor movement lag/stuttering.

I've just uninstalled the Dell SupportAssist Agent and it resolved the issue. The update has been pushed to my machine 13/02/2015.

Hope your dev team can look into this, let me know if you need any more info.

I'm on Windows 8.1 x64.

1 Message

February 16th, 2015 12:00

I am also having this issue as of last week or so... never saw support assist until recently in my start menu. Likely also related. 

To be specific, I have an Alienware 17 that I just got in December, and upon startup of my computer NOW where I did not have issues before, I will occasionally freeze up, lose control of mouse, fan kicks in on high mode, and then reverts to normal. In some situations the touchpad stops working until I reboot. 

There is one other issue I had which was a little alarming. Tried to plug in an HDMI to watch some videos on my tv, and the display driver failed. Stopped working altogether... reverted to using the integrated intel GPU, unable to switch back and most importantly THE AMD GPU WAS NOT IN THE DEVICE MANAGER OR BIOS. JUST GONE, NOT DETECTED! I did manage to get it working again by flashing the BIOS, and have tested it out playing a few games. However I am concerned now because the "Support Assist" program says that it detected the PCI EXPRESS slot as being removed. I definitely did not remove anything and have never opened my Alienware case... do you think this will void my warranty now?

Any assistance would be appreciated... support assist said it was sending a report on my system as it caught an error last time it froze up... then the report 'failed to send'

this is a brand new computer. Shouldn't be having all these nasty issues!

- Concerned customer

No Events found!