Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 13th, 2011 10:00

Buying a secondary harddrive fro m17x r-1

So I noticed my Alienware has two slots for had drives. And since I currently lack space on my computer it would be nice to place on in my empty slot. Still I don't know what hard drivers that are compatible with the m17 r-1 and I don't know if there is anything else I should think about when buying one. Also if it's neccessary to do anything special after putting it into the laptop. Any compatible hard drivers here?: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=us&category_id=5992&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=anav&p=1

Please help, i'm not so good when it comes to computers D:

20 Posts

September 15th, 2011 15:00

Bump, someone please help. Don't wanna waste money on something that won't work. :(

1.2K Posts

September 15th, 2011 18:00

um dont buy from dell ...

www.newegg.com/.../SubCategory.aspx

basically anyhting here thats SATA will do  ..... 7200rpm is better then 5400 for access times  WD blacks are nice but will out perform your primary drive   and i do recommend the WD blacks   and if you want speed and alot of space LOL(750 gig) currently own this in my acer laptop its FAST!  ..lol

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

the link you posted is solid states and work better as a primary windows drive and rather not a secondary drive .. when you first get a drive you will need to format it but that can be done in windows easily ...(usually)  But if you wanna replace your primary drive for a solid state then will require reinstall of windows and everythjing .. which can be a pain if not in proper order and proper way (udpated drivers and  command center not one that came on  cd or messes up alot of stuff)

20 Posts

September 16th, 2011 03:00

Yeah, heard that i should not install the command center from CD. I was actually even thinking about reinstalling windows 7 because I had major problems lately and I just want to wipe everything and try to install all the drivers in the correct order this time. The first time I just installed them randomly :S.

by the way, when you format a drive it's only to right click it and choose format right? And when i reinstall windows will, i then be able to choose my new harddrive as my primary during the installation? Or is it alot more complicated than that?

Thanks alot for the help though! :D 750GB is enough for me so I think i'll buy that one.

By the way, this is the same one right?: www.komplett.se/.../ki.aspx

I could not buy it from the site you linked me. Seems like you must live in the US to do so, i'm from Sweden.

Also it says  "System needs: Apple MacOS, Microsoft Windows Vista / 2000 / XP" Nothing about windows7? :S

You sure it will work?

20 Posts

September 20th, 2011 02:00

bump: Sorry to bother but could someone please answer? :)

No Events found!