Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 8th, 2016 16:00

Can I delete or move "FacImg" which includes "install.wim", from the C: drive?

I just recently purchased an Alienware Area-51 PC, which has a 128GB SSD drive for the OS partition. After a week, this partition was almost full (partially from OneDrive and Dropbox files), and I'm now trying to clean it up "correctly".

One thing that caught my eye, using SpaceSniffer, was a 12GB file called "install.wim" in C:\FacImg\. Apparently it seems to be some sort of restore image, but since it's taking 10% of the space on my precious C: drive, I'd like to know if I can move it or just simply delete it without interfering with the PC's basic function. Considering I generally install Windows "cleanly" myself, and I don't mind installing software and drivers myself, pre-installed software is generally not something I care about. As long as, given a fresh install, I can still find somewhere to download the Alienware Command Center and other tools, I'm good.

Can I delete this? Or is there a way to, at least, move it? It's not a partition, just a folder!

Cheers,
~Evie

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

February 9th, 2016 13:00

Hi, 

That is the Windows image that Windows creates in case you need to reset the system to factory settings. You can delete it, however, it is recommended to have this in case you ever need to restore the system to factory settings without using the Windows recovery media. 

February 12th, 2016 21:00

how to use this image to reset the sysyem to factory settings? can I move it to other partitions?

February 12th, 2016 22:00

how to use it to reset the system to factory settings? can I move it to other partitions?

25 Posts

April 21st, 2016 15:00

This is a great question. Is there no answer from Dell?

June 1st, 2016 03:00

I'm  curious too.

2 Posts

September 20th, 2016 09:00

So, uhm, I do actually want to have the ability to restore my system to factory settings if necessary. So, the question still stands - can I *move* it and still use it somehow?

209 Posts

September 20th, 2016 10:00

Thats what I did to my a51.  256gb ssd.  File properties." location-change location."

No Events found!