Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 15th, 2012 20:00

Can only use 4GB of my 6GB of installed RAM.

I have an Alienware Aurora R2 that I bought 2 years ago, and I recently found out that I am only currently using 4GB out of 6GB of installed RAM on my computer.

I have not made any upgrades since I bought it.

My specifications are:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1

Processor: Intel Core i5

Memory: 6144MB RAM

Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5670

As you can see with Resource Monitor, It says I have 4GB of RAM "Total" yet, 6GB "Installed" (Don't mind how much was free and in use, I was running a couple programs, plus quite a few tabs in my web browser)

8156.RAM.PNG 

It says that 2GB is "Hardware Reserved" and the rest is in use/free/standby etc.

I have two 1GB sticks of RAM (Both Kingston, both in slot #1 & #2), and two 2GB sticks of RAM (Both Samsung, both in Slot #3 & #4) installed on my computer.

What can I do in order to use all 6GB of my RAM?

2.4K Posts

October 15th, 2012 23:00

I have an Alienware Aurora R2 that I bought 2 years ago, and I recently found out that I am only currently using 4GB out of 6GB of installed RAM on my computer.

I have not made any upgrades since I bought it.

My specifications are:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1

Processor: Intel Core i5

Memory: 6144MB RAM

Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5670

As you can see with Resource Monitor, It says I have 4GB of RAM "Total" yet, 6GB "Installed" (Don't mind how much was free and in use, I was running a couple programs, plus quite a few tabs in my web browser)

8156.RAM.PNG 

It says that 2GB is "Hardware Reserved" and the rest is in use/free/standby etc.

I have two 1GB sticks of RAM (Both Kingston, both in slot #1 & #2), and two 2GB sticks of RAM (Both Samsung, both in Slot #3 & #4) installed on my computer.

What can I do in order to use all 6GB of my RAM?

Hello Jlm50,

A few things can cause this. One is a BIOS setting but I don't believe we have that setting, not on my Alienware and I don't see it listed on the Aurora.

So the first thing I would do which is very easy is go to Start/Run and type in MSCONFIG. When it opens go to the BOOT tab and then click Advanced Options. On the next window I want you to uncheck the Maximum Memory box. Close everything and restart when prompted.

Let me know when you do this and if it worked. If it didn't I have something else to try. One last thing...this is a VERY common problem with these systems so don't worry.

6 Posts

October 16th, 2012 13:00

Hello Jlm50,

A few things can cause this. One is a BIOS setting but I don't believe we have that setting, not on my Alienware and I don't see it listed on the Aurora.

So the first thing I would do which is very easy is go to Start/Run and type in MSCONFIG. When it opens go to the BOOT tab and then click Advanced Options. On the next window I want you to uncheck the Maximum Memory box. Close everything and restart when prompted.

Let me know when you do this and if it worked. If it didn't I have something else to try. One last thing...this is a VERY common problem with these systems so don't worry.

I went to MsConfig but the "Maximum Memory" box is not checked:

7762.Maximum Memory.PNG

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 16th, 2012 14:00

Before it fully rebooted, I hit F2 and went into the BIOS, and it shows only 4GB installed.

You can stop troubleshooting right there. Windows is irrelevant. Must show 6gb here in BIOS.

Test with only each matching set (of 2) installed in the first (or lowest numbered DIMM Bank ) ... likely Slots 1&2 ... but check manual.

Each time, check BIOS and see which set is not reading properly.

2.4K Posts

Check the box and see if it will go to 6gb. Also, reboot, hit F2 and see if the BIOS lists 6gb.

6 Posts

Check the box and see if it will go to 6gb. Also, reboot, hit F2 and see if the BIOS lists 6gb.

I checked the box and it went up to 6GB, but when I came back on, (after reboot) I opened it again, and it showed this:

8422.Maximum Memory2.PNG 

Before it fully rebooted, I hit F2 and went into the BIOS, and it shows only 4GB installed.

6 Posts

October 16th, 2012 15:00

You can stop troubleshooting right there. Windows is irrelevant. Must show 6gb here in BIOS.

Test with only each matching set (of 2) installed in the first (or lowest numbered DIMM Bank ) ... likely Slots 1&2 ... but check manual.

Each time, check BIOS and see which set is not reading properly.

Well, (I don't know why I forgot to mention this) me and a friend (he is in school for computer science and networking) tried some troubleshooting and switched the RAM sticks around. We checked the BIOS and it said different amounts almost every time till we finally got to as much as we could make it say "installed", which was at 4GB. Which left me at the two 1GBs in 1 & 2 and the two 2GBs in 3 & 4

By now, I feel like an idiot, because I'm only now realizing that it seems as though slots 1 & 2 weren't the ones working, because with, for example, a 1 GB in slot 1, a 2GB in slot 2, a 1GB in slot 3, and a 2GB in slot 4 gave me 3GB installed, and with the two 1's in slot 3 & 4 it gave me 2GB installed...

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 16th, 2012 15:00

By now, I feel like an idiot, because I'm only now realizing that it seems as though slots 1 & 2 weren't the ones working, because with, for example, a 1 GB in slot 1, a 2GB in slot 2, a 1GB in slot 3, and a 2GB in slot 4 gave me 3GB installed, and with the two 1's in slot 3 & 4 it gave me 2GB installed...

I'm not sure what all the different crazy ways you can install them (mix and match) and still get a proper testing result (I've never tried it). Stick to what I said ...

On a dual channel motherboard, you:

- install in sets of 2 (IDENTICAL matching ... brand, speed, size, etc.)

- Fill (at least) the first Bank with a matching pair

- Identical pairs also helps keep the "dual channel" capability working

The machine's downloadable PDF documents all this.

Alternatively, with a Tri-Channel board, it's sets of 3.

6 Posts

October 16th, 2012 16:00

Well, we tried that too, and they didn't work (both the 2GB and 1GB pairs) in 1 & 2, but did when we put them in 3 & 4.

Everything is stock, I bought it at Best Buy and didn't add/remove any hardware, so it seems pretty idiotic to have two different brands and sizes in the computer.. But they still worked even when we mismatched the sizes (in slots 3 & 4)

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 16th, 2012 18:00

Well, we tried that too, and they didn't work (both the 2GB and 1GB pairs) in 1 & 2, but did when we put them in 3 & 4.

If you are sure this statement is true (holding to procedures I mentioned above) ... it's pointing to a motherboard problem.

DIMM sockets ... be sure every little contact is clean and perfect looking.

You can try resetting the motherboard to BIOS defaults.

You can try upping the RAM voltage a very tiny amount.

Check BIOS version. If re-flashing BIOS to higher version use extreme caution because it's easy to kill/brick it.

2.4K Posts

October 16th, 2012 18:00

Everything is stock, I bought it at Best Buy and didn't add/remove any hardware, so it seems pretty idiotic to have two different brands and sizes in the computer.. But they still worked even when we mismatched the sizes (in slots 3 & 4)

Please don't go defaulting your BIOS, trying to update it or playing with the volts.

Lots of times on these systems if it doesn't show the full amount of ram in the bios then you have to pull the ram out and start it with just one stick. Then shutdown and put all the sticks back in. Repeat this untill you get it to show all 6gb. Even my system will do this from time to time and on more then 3 different motherboards over the years. I have also seen this issue many times on these forums and have helped people fix it this way. Very common issue with these computers.

Once you get all 6gb to show then go into windows and set the max memory. Sometimes it needs to be unchecked and sometimes it needs to be checked. It's wacky. Once you get it to show in windows it will hold it until you reset the bios or pull a stick of memory. Then it may revert back to showing only 4gb.

Well, (I don't know why I forgot to mention this) me and a friend (he is in school for computer science and networking) tried some troubleshooting and switched the RAM sticks around. We checked the BIOS and it said different amounts almost every time till we finally got to as much as we could make it say "installed", which was at 4GB. Which left me at the two 1GBs in 1 & 2 and the two 2GBs in 3 & 4

To match your RAM you use the color coding on the DIMM slots. You will see two slots that have white tabs and two more with black tabs. You need to match even size RAM with these color tabs. You would use something like two 2gb DIMMS in the black tabs and two 1gb DIMMs in the white tab. It needs to be done this way.

6 Posts

October 17th, 2012 13:00

Lots of times on these systems if it doesn't show the full amount of ram in the bios then you have to pull the ram out and start it with just one stick. Then shutdown and put all the sticks back in. Repeat this untill you get it to show all 6gb. Even my system will do this from time to time and on more then 3 different motherboards over the years. I have also seen this issue many times on these forums and have helped people fix it this way. Very common issue with these computers.

Once you get all 6gb to show then go into windows and set the max memory. Sometimes it needs to be unchecked and sometimes it needs to be checked. It's wacky. Once you get it to show in windows it will hold it until you reset the bios or pull a stick of memory. Then it may revert back to showing only 4gb.

Well, I just tried plenty of combinations.. I put just one 2GB in Slot 1, and I got a black screen when I started it up, I tried just one 1GB in slot 1 and got a black screen. I tried putting it alternating (like you said, in the black tabbed ones and white tabbed ones) with a 2GB in slot 1 (black tab) and a 1GB in slot 2 (white tab) and I got a black screen. (I left slot 3 & 4 empty)

Then I tried putting a 1 GB in slot 4 (white tab) and I got a screen, and it said 1GB installed in the BIOS, so I added the 2GB in slot 3 (black tab) and started it up and got it to say 3GB. Then I added the other 1 GB in slot 2, and it still said 3GB installed, and adding the last 2GB in slot 1, and it STILL said 3GB installed.

The tabs are clean and the BIOS is actually updated.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

October 17th, 2012 13:00

Jlm50,

Sorry you are having problems with your Dell hardware. I need more information to investigate this. Send me the following via private message. Click my username and then Start a Conversation -
Email Address:
Name:
Shipping Address:
Phone Number:
Dell Computer Service Tag Number:
http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19471256.aspx

4.4K Posts

May 17th, 2013 01:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.      

No Events found!