Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

February 21st, 2017 17:00

Can't update BIOS for Area 51 R2 (on BIOS A03)

I have an Area 51 R2, and system information reports that the BIOS version is currently A03. I've been attempting to install a newer version of the BIOS - according to the driver site that's A10. When I run the Alienware_Area_51_R2_A10.exe executable, I get this error:

then this:

I've tried the A04 and A08 BIOS updaters, as suggested in the instructions (since my machine has an older BIOS), but those give the same error.

My system is running Windows 10.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

February 22nd, 2017 11:00

Hi,

Open Device Manager and delete the System Firmware driver.

Perform a power drain: unplug system from power and hols the power button for around a minute to drain all the power out. Then try the update again. 

Also, you can try a different browser for the download. Remember you need to start with the A04, then the A08 and finally the A10.

6 Posts

February 22nd, 2017 17:00

I followed these instructions and was not able to install the new BIOS. I received the same error. I also tried downloading the firmware from Chrome, Edge, and Internet Explorer with the same result.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

February 23rd, 2017 08:00

Send me a private message with the service tag please.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 14th, 2017 22:00

Well, I surely would not be running it in Windows.

Even on my Aurora-R6 using the pre-installed Alienware Updater (cool for drivers but kinda scary for BIOS firmware updates) ... it downloads in Windows but runs from the UEFI "OS" outside of Windows.

Read the section about BIOS updates in the thread linked below in my sig. I just used that FreeDOS flash-drive procedure to install all 7 BIOS updates for a newer UEFI-based Dell laptop. It worked fine. It seemed safe and I felt like I was in control the whole time.

26 Posts

March 14th, 2017 22:00

The problem with taking this private is that I am running on an older bios on my Area 51 R2 as well and have not updated because I do not want to turn my system into a brick. I am especially concerned since it looks as though I can not do a direct update to the latest bios...so if I understand correctly I have to  risk updating the bios a number of times...anyway I was hoping to be able to see if this situation was resolved.

"Remember you need to start with the A04, then the A08 and finally the A10"

When I enter my tag and check the files to download I do not see the option to download any other bios versions other than A10, nor am I seeing any instructions regarding updating from any of the earlier versions, am I missing them?

No Events found!