Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 12th, 2016 11:00

Cannot install Alienware Command Center (17 R3)

I recently had to wipe my HD and thereby I've lost the Alienware Command Center. My problem is I cannot find a version that will work on my laptop, every single version I've tried to download tells me it's not compatible with my system. Can anyone help? 

I've tried renaming it to a Zip file, I've installed all of the .NET frameworks necessary, I've done Windows update, I've done everything I can think of but I cannot get this to install. I have the newly revised 17 R3 (from 2015). 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

October 14th, 2016 09:00

Try installing this version here.

October 15th, 2016 06:00

OK so I fixed it and here's what I did.

So when I reinstalled Windows, first off, it wasn't the specific recovery image for my machine (I think that might have been one possible problem). Also, when I reinstalled, it reinstalled Windows on to the poorly performing 5200RPM 1TB drive that came stock with the system (again, not sure but that might have been another problem).

In order, here's what I did

1. Went to Support.Dell.Com and downloaded the customized recovery image for my machine (using my service tag)

2. Used PowerISO to create a bootable installer drive using an 8 GB SDHC card I had lying around with a USB based reader (to bypass any annoying "drive doesn't show up errors" in the BIOS screen

3. Reformatted my Samsung 120GB SSD drive into an MBR formatted one (so I wouldn't get the can't install to GPT error

4. Removed my 1 TB backup drive from my system (physically took it out of the machine)

5. Booted the system up, went into boot options (F12), booted from the SDHC - USB frankendrive that was plugged in

6. Reinstalled Windows, (make sure to remove ANY USB based devices sans the USB storage of course) it automatically installed to the SSD since that was the only option it could go with

7. Used Windows update to install ALL updates

8. Went to Nvidia to download and install the WHQL drivers for the additional 970m card

9. Went to Support.Dell.Com again to download ALL the available drivers including the Command Center 4.0 for Notebooks

10. Everything installed without a hitch including Command Center 4.0 for Notebooks

Now, I wanted to post this because looking everywhere (including numerous other forums, etc etc etc, this help was NOWHERE to be found. So after 2 days of racking my brain, here's the solution that worked for me.

*EDIT* Thanks for the questions and help to the others

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

October 13th, 2016 14:00

Hi,

What Windows version do you have installed?

October 13th, 2016 14:00

Windows 10 Home 64 bit, the same version that came with the laptop OOTB.

October 14th, 2016 09:00

That was the first version I've tried, still tells me that it's incompatible with my hardware.

901 Posts

October 14th, 2016 10:00

Have you had any work done on your laptop recently? If the motherboard has been replaced and the tech forgot to insert the service tag in the system BIOS command centre will NOT install, no matter what you try.

Bootup your laptop and hit F2, check and make sure you have a service tag (serial number) in there, it should be on the first screen, if it's not scroll to the right and you will find a screen that allows you to insert a service tag, your service tag should be on the bottom of your laptop on a black sticker with white writing.

November 3rd, 2016 02:00

Thank you! This works for the 17 R3. The OP's suggestion takes too many hoops. This is a simple fix, legit.

No Events found!