Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 25th, 2015 12:00

Choppy hard drive. Ailenware M17X R3

Hi All,

For the past year I have been experiencing choppy hard drive. Typically noticed when playing a video on from the hard drive, it is also noticed when doing mouse clicks, typing in word, etc. I have uploaded a video of video playback. This particular video is streaming, however it is the same choppy playback noted when playing back a video from the hard drive. 

I have tested a video on a external hard drive and it does not seem to be choppy at all. I then moved the video to the desktop and played it from there and it experienced the exact choppy playback as noted above.

About 9 months ago one of the 2 hard drives failed and Dell replaced it. The occurrence did not fix the issue. The issue was occurring before and after the hard drive replacement.

My thoughts are:

1 - the other hard drive is bad - (but is not giving any errors)

2 - the RAM is bad 

3 - the video card is bad

System components:

Windows 10 64 bit

Intel Core i7-260QM @ 2.4

16GB Ram

2 x 500gb ssd

geforce GTX 560M 

Video of choppy playback is below. I will also post a video of the playback from the hard drive.

http://youtu.be/Y9mAvO9uoH4

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

November 25th, 2015 14:00

Hi,

Have you tried running an ePSA/Diagnostics test to check the Hard Drive? Click here to view an article that explains how to run this test.

3 Posts

November 26th, 2015 00:00

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't run the ePSA test recently, but when I had previously it did not show any errors. I ran and re ran the online stress and hard drive checks and they all passed.  Nearly the same time you posted I was googling hard drive tests and ended up finding a similar dell post on a laptop user who was overseas deployed with the military. In that post it mentioned the ePSA test as well.

I ran the ePSA test and it failed disk drive 0. Disk drive 1 passed.

I inputted the code and verification code online and a new SSD is on it's way out.

Hopefully this resolves the issue, while I am skeptical since it didn't fix it last time the SSD was replaced, i am of course willing to give it a try and go from there.

Thanks Rodrigo.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

November 27th, 2015 11:00

Thank you for confirming this. Let us know if you require further assistance.

No Events found!