Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

October 29th, 2009 21:00

Clean Install of Windows 7 64bit + Alienware Command Center killed my FX lighting!

Need some help. I did a complete fresh install of Windows 7 Professional 64bit on my brand new shiny Aurora desktop (Arrived Oct. 27th, 2009). Everything was fine until I installed the Alienware Command Center (from Dell support!). The setup updated the firmware, after which I now have no FX lighting. In fact the application kept causing the blue screen of death! I had to remove this as well. I really don't understand how Dell can post software that doesn't work! Has anybody else had any problems with a fresh install of Windows 7 64bit?

3 Posts

November 19th, 2009 13:00

I'm having the exact same problem. Apparently there is some sort of fix for this, but I've been unable to find it.

36 Posts

November 19th, 2009 17:00

I performed a clean install of Windows 7 64bit on my M17x and the only issue with Command Center is Fusion.  Doesn't affect any useability.  I just get the flying sauser when I click "Fusion".  I just change power scheme through windows power options.

Did you install your drivers in an "Approved" order?

I don't really know what that "order" is, I have heard of it though.

3 Posts

November 20th, 2009 05:00

I don't think so. The only reason I did a clean install in the first place is that the Windows 7 update killed my HD. It just went into endless loops for both Win7 and the old Vista. Now I have a half functioning $4,000 computer. Very annoying.

2 Posts

November 20th, 2009 09:00

After some trial and error I solved the the Alienware Command Center issue by re-installing Vista 64 bit (basically bringing it back to factory specs) and then applying my free Windows 7 Upgrade.

2 Posts

November 25th, 2009 22:00

Due to the Hybrid SLI graphics in Alienware M17X systems there have been a number of issues users have been reporting, due to the Windows 7 upgrade. Most of these are related to improper driver installations and the conflicts that result. However, it is also a known issue that another Bios update is dearly needed for full support of the Hybrid Graphics.

This is related to the issue you are having, by-way-of a lack of fully documented upgrade instructions by both Deal and Alienware. They obviously have some sort of work-around, due to the fact that they have started shipping Alienware M17X's with Windows 7 pre-installed.

Nevertheless, they way I got mine to work is by grabbing your resource CD and reinstalling the original Alienware Command Center over the new version. This will give you an error, but will install must of the old files. Don't reboot, end the task after receiving the error and then reinstall the newest patch version of Alienware Command Center over the other. The menu should prompt you to either repair or remove. Believe it or not, you want to select remove, which will uninstall all the conflicting files first and then re-install the newest files. Remember to do this from the Administrator account and not your user account and reboot once this is complete.

To gain access to the Administrator account on your system, you need to right click on your My Computer or Computer and select Manage. From there select Users & Groups. The Administrator account is under users and has been disabled by default, so you only see your user account. Un-check the box and reboot your system. You may have to put a piece a paper over your web-cam if you have Aliensense running or temporarily turn it off. Once you login to the Administrator Account make sure to Change the default password of (BLANK) to a secure password. From there you can follow the sample method above at your own risk. Remember, for reference you should aways use the Administrator Account to perform driver installations so there are no file access issues. GOOD LUCK :)

15 Posts

December 4th, 2009 14:00

Off the resource CD... Are you installing the 64 bit Vista Verison over the newest Win 7 version? Or the older version of the Win 7 Command Center.

1 Message

December 19th, 2009 17:00

Did you ever get the command center fusion working? I have the same problem, when i go to command center fusion i get the blue flying saucer.

244 Posts

December 19th, 2009 20:00

Gents - I have documented a fix for this in several threads here in the Alienware forum that works every time on my Area-51.  Not sure if the Auroras are different enough for this not to work for them, but its worth a try.  Here's a link to the latest thread with the steps that I use.  I have been in dialogue with Alienware Tech Support and they're fully aware of the problems and assure me a fix is in development.  Try my procedure, and take the removal of the power chord for 30 seconds seriously... it is an important step.  Let me know if this works for you and restores proper operation.

1 Message

February 24th, 2010 15:00

DMiannay - the link you posted is restricted?  Keeps giving an 'Access Denied' message?  Any chance of forwarding a new link or maybe post the instructions here instead?

Would like to resolve this issue.

Thanks.

526 Posts

February 24th, 2010 18:00

DMiannay - the link you posted is restricted?  Keeps giving an 'Access Denied' message?  Any chance of forwarding a new link or maybe post the instructions here instead?

+1
I get an "Access Denied" message when trying to access the link.

Is Dell trying to keep this a secret?  LOL

15 Posts

February 24th, 2010 19:00

I am not sure if DMiannay is refering to long thread with 175+ posts. If he is it's within the first 5 pages on the alienware forum, something about the command center on the aurora/area 51.

29 Posts

March 29th, 2010 05:00

I recently reinstalled windows 7 on a pair of ssd in raid, and this same thing happened. Installed the command center, and now my lights dont work, and my pci fan spins at a high rate constantly. I was on the phone with tech support for a few hours, and according the them I need a replacement fx board. A tech is supposed to install it this week, but from the sounds of these post there is a chance that it's not the board? As far as I could tell the board was powered on, by the orange light, it just seemed to me that it was no longer communicating with the mobo. In the device manager I found the generic usb hub that is attached to the fx board, but it said nothing was connected.

May 6th, 2012 21:00

Removed

215 Posts

May 7th, 2012 08:00

The post is meant for desktops but I followed these steps, for the most part, for my laptop and it worked fine.  So for those of you who are having a similar issue with a laptop, just follow the steps and skip the steps that do not apply for a laptop.  It should all work the same at the end.  Mine is running perfectly.

215 Posts

May 7th, 2012 08:00

There is a post on how to install Win 7 on Alieware desktops.  

here is the link

en.community.dell.com/.../19376654.aspx

The order of installation of drivers is very important.

Good luck.

No Events found!