Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 27th, 2011 13:00

Command Center doesn't work after fresh install Win 7 64

I just installed windows 7 64bit on my Alienware R3, I installed the command center from the resource cd, but when I launch it I get an error message saying :

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Nothing works, the thermal controls, AlienFX or any of the software in the Alienware folder in my start menu.  I read on Dell's forum, that if you install this from the resource disc, it messes stuff up? I cant believe it would do this, any help would be great! My fans are constant on around the medium speed or so, and all the lights on my case are off. 

Here is a screenshot of the error message I get when I either try to launch command center OR on every computer restart, this pops up..

-Jason

322 Posts

September 27th, 2011 16:00

Before installing Win  again had you previously updated the command center to the newest version?  If you did that is your problem.  You should have checked this out on the main page of this forum.   en.community.dell.com/.../19339913.aspx

You may have just fried one of your boards.

4 Posts

Hey there, I did update it to the current version prior to re installing. You'd think their own software would not cause hardware to fail, its amazing to me Dell hasn't figured it out yet. Im going to contact customer support i guess, see if they will replace my board. Thanks for your help bigdog.

4 Posts

Customer support said, because I reinstalled my OS without telling them first, my warranty is void and they need to charge me $129.00 to even discuss the problem on the phone.. Thanks Dell you guys are so awesome!! So where do go from here, any suggestions?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 27th, 2011 19:00

It has been covered before ... that doesn't in-validate your warranty.

Please search the forum for Command Center and MIO-Board fix tips (I've already typed it in to many times).

35 Posts

September 27th, 2011 21:00

Reinstalling an OS without telling them is grounds for a warranty void now? Its funny because every time I call them for tech support after countless benchmark tests, there go to move is telling you to reinstall your OS. Makes you wonder if any of these people even have a computer backround of any kind.

1.2K Posts

September 27th, 2011 22:00

yea well this dont fry the board it just corrupts its  software apparently there is fixes on the net but reinstalling dosent void warranty ..... making sw that  does this is   chaos and in all honesty the customer should have a warnign   on the system in big bold letters stating this prior to removeing from box .... anyway  call back and get a manager  or see if Chris here from dell will help out

No Events found!