Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 18th, 2014 14:00

Computer random shut down

So recently i have been playing league of legends on the high qualities and after about the second game my computer will randomly black out and shut off. During this process the computer itself is not very hot at all but the ac adapter is quite hot. Any ideas as to why this is happening? 

specs

Alienware M17x

BIOS: Ver A10 1.00

Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7 CPU          Q 740 @ 1.73GHz (8 CPUs)

Memory: 8192 MB RAM

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 18th, 2014 14:00

So recently i have been playing league of legends on the high qualities and after about the second game my computer will randomly black out and shut off. During this process the computer itself is not very hot at all but the ac adapter is quite hot. Any ideas as to why this is happening? 

Be sure laptop is clean and neither CPU or GPU are over-heating. Will it run without battery?

Are there vent-holes on the Power Supply (AC Adapter)? Can you place a fan on it? Sounds like you have had the machine a while. Switch-Mode Power Supplies (SMPS) do wear-out.

To prevent fire-hazard, you should have machine serviced.

Trying a new genuine Dell-Alienware Power Supply would probably be a first thing to try. BIOS might only allow certain models. If multiple models are allowed, get the larger more-powerful one.

2 Posts

January 18th, 2014 15:00

How would i tell if the CPU or GPU are over-heating? I have ran it without a battery but the same problem exists. There are vent holes for the wire to the AC Adapter but not the big black square portion of it. And what is a SMPS? 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 18th, 2014 15:00

1. How would i tell if the CPU or GPU are over-heating?

2. I have ran it without a battery but the same problem exists.

3. There are vent holes for the wire to the AC Adapter but not the big black square portion of it.

4. And what is a SMPS? 

1. From my Favorite Threads:

CPUID HW Monitor  - Temp and other detailed data http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

HWiNFO-64 (Portable) - Temps and other detailed data http://www.hwinfo.com/

2. Good. Wanted to make sure battery wasn't bad and heating up AC Adapter (using too much power trying to charge it)

3. ??? The AC Adapter box (that's getting hot) is either vented or not.

4. Your AC Adapter is a regulated Power Supply. Specifically, a Switch Mode Power Supply. They wear-out ... faster if not kept cool (usually by venting or fans). Faster if ran near 100% all the time.

No Events found!