Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 22nd, 2015 17:00

Cooling Fan - Excessive Speed

I have an Alienware R4 with Bios A11 which I recently upgraded from x64 Windows 8.1 to x64 Windows 10 Pro.

The Windows 10 upgrade went off without difficulty, and for several weeks all has been well - no problems or issues using a variety of programs. I added a printer last month which has also been working just fine. No further updates or changes for at least a week, with normal daily use.

HOWEVER, this morning when I turned on my computer, the cooling fans IMMEDIATELY went to high speed and stayed there. (The vents in the case are NOT flared open.) I went to the Alienware Command Center and it showed both the PCI fan and the Hard Drive fans were at 100%, and a little padlock icon was in the lower right of each panel indicating that they were locked at that speed.

I've had no prior symptoms of overheating . . . and the system SEEMS to be working OK, apart from the noise of the high speed fans. I ran the basic Dell diagnostic tests and the unit passed all of them.

Any suggestions?

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

September 13th, 2015 13:00

let me guess Marc; A-Rod's Tuesday advice for you, where you were to follow a link which amounted to 'reinstall Command Center' ... din't work out?

After you posted? I had to go into that other thread & make some edits with additional advice & links actually, in order for you to have added tools, so I'm half-surprised nothing worked. Especially since you have 5 CmndCntr versions to try out.

I think I would open Thermals > if your fans are set to auto, try manual 'fixed' or manual + curve. If no joy, and if you've exhausted all the methods we've been trying? To answer your question, I believe it would be better to install 7 clean on its own hard drive actually. eBay, you can pick up drives all day long for as low as $15 for an 80Gb, buy a pair etc. that way if the day ever gets here and Alienware provides an R4 fans fix:

your 10 can stay where it is, on its own drive, setup like u want it. b4 u revert to 7, consider a clean 7 instead on its own drive. If there are 'risks' in going back to 7 from 10, I've read that the worse that happens is some of your files / programs aren't restored, so there's that, a small price to pay. If there's a fix in 7 it's the type that comes with a clean install. Ok?

Remember to post in AlienwareArena too, the moderator's there need inundated with this nagging issue, need to be made aware it hasn't gone away yet, as if they don't already know it, since the R4 in the Alien Lab has gotta be all ate up with this fans at 100% issue, right?  

Dell Alienware? They wanna run but they can't hide from this.

Simple advice? Turn off fast startup in 10, & don't put your Alien to sleep til there's a fix ...

Ball's in your court Marc

No Events found!