Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 2nd, 2017 17:00

Couple of questions for Casse-Ole or whoever can help

Okay, so I have a couple of questions that I'd like to just get resolved in one thread. I have an Aurora R4 and an Area 51 R2 and have upgrade questions for both.

1. I've read about the premium liquid cooler for the R4 (from Casse-Ole's posts) part # 01YGW  and I'm curious if it's worth the upgrade? I plan to keep both my Aurora R4 (purchased in 2014) and Area 51 R2 for a very long time...I'm wondering if the cooler fits both systems (or just the Aurora R4) and if so if it's not only worth the upgrade but better than the cooler in the Area 51 R2? If so, I may purchase it for both. Also, where can I find tutorials for doing the swap?

2. On my Area 51 R2 I have the 850w Bronze power supply, I've been considering swapping it out for the 1500w Gold power supply. I have the i7 5820k and run 1070s in SLI. Is the upgrade worth it? Would I see any benefits or should I just stick with what I have? If so, is it an easy swap? I would upgrade if it's worth it. The 875w power supply that's in my Aurora R4, is there a better version or is this it? Am I fine keeping it for the long haul or should I swap it out?

3. Last question. I read Casse--Ole's posts about the missing "mid fan" on the Area 51 R2, the y splitter, and what not. I have zero cooling issues..is it even worth getting the splitter and switching to two 75amp  fans or should I just stick with the stock top fan I have now?

It's worth noting, I want to stick to the Alienware parts, so if I upgrade the coolers it would be the premium Alienware ones and the same for the power supply. 

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

September 2nd, 2017 18:00

Greetings brother

1. 01YGW 38mm cooler to me is worth it, I have 10 of them here (4 spares / 6 in use). They're used in my 51 R1 / R2 & Aur R4, fits all three. They should be better than your 25mm K31VH R2 cooler, I wouldn't expect drastic difference, but u should see drop of 3C or better (example see uTube: Is it better to have a THICKER radiator or PUSH/PULL?). R4 Premium is on par with original H80i. Tutorials would be in either the PDF service manual or try uTube user vids or Alienware Service's channel ('AlienTube' / disassembly vid or similar), search term = 'Alienware cooler' gets some hits. A 01YGW on eBay appears to be new but listed as used. A used one to me is worth $55 tops (what I do here is if I've bought a used one I buy a 2nd as a spare = $100 invested in cooling ... u, would hold your K31VH as emergency spare). All eBay sellers need haggled with, try to get their price down 1st. Also, because older Aurora coolers have a black 7pin SL connector on them, I make my own adapters here (5pin / 7pin shown). In some instances, the bare 7pin can fit on a mthrbrd fan header and 'stay put' (if there's room to fit), and remains ok so long as u don't bump it off (requires monitoring of course, given it is a precarious solution). I don't have your X99 mthrbrd so can't test here if it fits w/out an adapter. Message me if u need one ($10 mailed). R3 Threadripper gets a 48mm cooler (ostensibly TFGHM), which itself will be for sale new (or someday used): keep it on your radar, @48mm wide it's a tad under H80i V2 / GT @49mm
  2. Aurora, u can place any power supply u want to in there, for instance I'm running a Seasonic 1000 platinum (forum.notebookreview.com/threads/alienware-aurora-desktop-owners-lounge.771042/page-4). 51-R2, the 1500w 800GY will never be worth it of u buy it new from Mr Dell. However, on eBay, there is one for ~$175 (30day money back) which is tops for what I'd spend (it's compatible with your 850w case harness, pull 850 out / pop 1500 in & re-connect cables = easy  install, see Alien Services for uTube how-to). I don't think u need it unless you stepped up to 1080Ti x 2 / Titan Xs or Vega 64s, for 1070s it's more of a bragging rights / feelz-good issue. Otherwise with a lower-load on it, the gold 80Plus rating isn't as efficient (efficiency pays dividends @ 50% loads & up, so maybe u pay an extra buck per month on your juice bill until u have hungrier cards). If u can score one cheap, do it, hold 850 as working spare (eBay completed listings > 800GY sold for $140 last week with cables = my kind of deal). On a side note, aftermarket power supplies work in the R2 (excluding Corsair HX1200, Ax1200i / 1500i), I've seen over a dozen psu swaps. 800GY = easiest way (plug n play)
  3. The lower mid-fan bracket VNPD3 has been sold out for over a year now, but if u have one, sure, get some extra cooling going. The ones who put a fan there swear by it

***Case Fans: original 38mm Delta/Nidec top fan is a server-grade @1.4 - 1.5amps:

• you do not want a pair of those running off of one fan header w/a y-split adapter
  • drop down to a pair of 25mm wide fans rated at .75amps or less

***Cooler / PSU have resale value, the money can mostly be gotten back if u change your mind down the road

September 2nd, 2017 18:00

Thank you for the quick response!

So..just to confirm..

1. 01YGW is worth the upgrade for both my Aurora R4 and Area 51 R2? On my Area 51 R2 I may need the adapter you use, to use the upgraded cooler? Is that correct?

2. The power supply at my current configuration wouldn't help any sort of performance and would be more of a "feel good" type of upgrade, but if I upgraded videocards later it would benefit? I likely wouldn't upgrade videocards for a year (if not longer) but am still considering the power supply upgrade and am not sure if I should pull the trigger or not.

3. I *THINK* the bracket is installed on mine, but I can't tell..picture attached. Can you tell? It looks the same as what my top fan is attached to.

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

September 2nd, 2017 19:00

above is an old photo I made for someone; A-51 5pin cooler connector attempts to fit on a fan header. Aurora 7pin can do the same, so long as there is room; it's a 'tentative connexion' (SL connectors aren't meant for fan headers, lol, but they can be forced on in a pinch ... obviously u must meet its wiring / pin needs relative to fan header pins), but my hand-made adapters are superior (set it and forget it). Use above method to save $10

1. R4 Premium cooler is worth it if u can score one at a good price. If you're forced to buy a used one, be sure to have a spare cooler of any type as a back up. Simply put, I refuse to go back to 25mm whimpy coolers. Last year my R2 was running a 50mm AMD/Asetek cooler to test if the largest coolers fit / work

I also tried to explain how a 7pin might fit onto a fan header here: Alienware CPU Liquid cooling and fans and PSU on new Motherboard

2. The 850, you're not allowed to opt into it on the sales page with dual 1080Ti + Intel eXtreme CPU, it isn't 'validated' for dual 250w+ cards (where you might overclock the CPU + GPUs & lead to shutdown issue, so they say). I'd pull the trigger if u see one $150/shipped or less, but it's your call. We're seeing more & more of these land on eBay in new / new pull / used. When several land at the same time they price war to list lowest price. On the other hand, that $140 last week may be as low as I've seen one go for, ~150 tended to be the norm the past 6months

3. Looks like u 100% have the bracket, but the photo's fuzzy. Mine still doesn't have one (constantly sold out), but see photo of what it looks like when there is not one in that space (the metal boss is waiting for a bracket 'foot')

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

September 2nd, 2017 20:00

1. Above is what I make as the best peace-of-mind solution. If we pretend your cooler gets there, were it me I would unplug R2's K31VH pump connector, hold 01YGW in left hand, quickly try to connect its 7pin onto the fan/pump header: if it feels ok (feels / acts relatively secure), go with it. If not, 'added insurance' = get the adapter. Otherwise, concerning Aur R4, it is a direct plug and play swap with the R4, needs nothing. Lastly, push / pull in R4 / R2 = a switch to 25mm fans (0.75amp or less) + fan y-splitter 

2. Agreed. It makes sense when the price is right

3. What we know is that the 'mid-fan' header on your XJKKD mthrbrd is 'dead', generates a constant speed and CmndCntr / Bios has no effect on it. That tends to force one into tapping into the top fan header, and use a y-split so they both fall under CC control. To do that means ditching the high-power 38mil Delta / Nidec and using slimmer less power 25mils as stated. Mr Dell buys those 38mil Deltas by the billions, easily found on eBay (run the model#). To run a pair of them (now ~3amps draw), you'd want to invest in something that taps the power supply Molex or an open SATA cable, effectively a 4pin pwm splitter Area 51 R2 MB Fan Headers support PWM? ... look around for a 2-pack of 25mils as best option in my opinion

Molex splitter, if needed to interface with PSU molex cable (while running FIO board + DVD player)

Okay, sorry to keep bugging you..I just want to make sure I'm fully understanding everything.

1. Even on the R4 I may need the adapter? Or is the adapter just for the Area 51 R2? If so, I may hit you up for two adapters, for when I get the upgraded coolers (just in case).

3.  So, I would need to order 2 25mils fans, use the splitter, and sell my current 38mil fan?  Any idea for the best place to get a 2 pack of the 25mil fans? And again, just to confirm..would I actually see any benefit in making this upgrade or should I stick to the one bigger fan?

1. I think I may try to find the premium cooler for both my R4 and Area 51 R2.  So, on my Aurora R4 it won't require anything other than a swap and on my Area 51 R2 it would need the adapter for a smooth transition?

2. I think I may just pull the trigger on the 1500w to have the upgrade for and later (and keep my 850w as a backup).

3. Yeah, I tried taking the picture like five times but it was blurry every time. Mine definitely has the bracket installed because yours looks bare compared to mine. Soooo..can I order the DELL/Alienware FAN since I don't need the bracket or will it be too powerful to combine and I need to order 2 .75 fans and take my top fan out (like I saw you mention in previous posts)? 

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

September 2nd, 2017 21:00

Correct

I use eBay, but I've also used Amazon, PerfomancePCs & FrozenCpu. Chances are you want a sleeved black splitter, as short as you can find (6inch 15cm or less is better than 10/12inch 25/30cm), so that may include searching multiple sites to find the 4pin pwm splitter right for u. From there, u tally ship cost & try to bag the best / cheapest one; 'pwm adapter' 'pwm splitter' 'dual pwm' '15cm pwm' form the basis of search terms

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

I suspected when I typed that it might confuse u. I just made an edit for it

R4: needs nothing > pull old out / pop new in (so long as new cooler comes with thermal grease / paste). Gelid / Phobya / Thermal Grizzly make good pastes if needed. I'm on ArcticSilver5 here, only because RadioShack had them for $2 a tube / store closeout

R2: adapter is optional (if you feel 7pin fails to act secure on fan header by itself. I'll make u one)

Corsair offers two-pack / twin packs, get 4pin pwm types if they offer them (google = corsair pwm two-pack fans). Naturally u can search any type of fan and buy two of them

I myself can't confirm a benefit to adding the missing fan since I can't get the holder, lol. Fan ratings like Static Pressure, CFMs and noise level all factor into it (google search = fans static pressure, see vids / web results). I can't pick u out the best fan to try; black / charcoal Noctuas or Corsair MagLevs is what I'm buying when I get the holder, whether they help or not, lol

I think it's safe to say that the original intent of the case design was for dual-front fans and as a cost-cut they balked on installing the missing fan, yet left a way to get it in action at owner-cost. On paper, dual-front fans should be a blessing, u might add a PCI slot fan as extra exhaust as well. I can promise nothing til I test it all myself ...

Alienware deploys the mid-fan when GPU cooling is ordered (uTube: Tech Talk Alienware Area-51 Airflow and Thermal Management > @4:25)

Message W8Lifts since he's done it: Area 51 R2-Upgrades, Mods, Clarifications

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

Rosewill RCFC-16002 appears to be a 4incher / 10cm (eBay: Rosewill RCFC-16002 Case Fan Splitter, PWM Fan Splitter Cable, 1 to 2 Black) www.rosewill.com/rosewill-rcfc-16002-pwm-fan-splitter-cable-black-sleeve-3-94.html

Okay, so for R4 it's an easy swap (except for possible thermal paste) and for Area 51 R2 the adapter "may" be needed but would definitely be the easiest/preferred?

I think I may order the two fans, if so would I just order the splitter from ebay or is there a better website option?

September 2nd, 2017 22:00

Gotcha! I will definitely hit you up for one those adapters then.

Thank you!

September 2nd, 2017 22:00

Awesome, thank you!

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

September 3rd, 2017 16:00

Yeah, looks good. ML120s are 0.2amps each, perfect. You don't need a molex splitter for the MLs 

So, after doing research, I think I found what would work. I want to confirm..

Fans: Corsair CO-9050039-WW 120mm ML120, 120mm Premium Magnetic Levitation PWM Fan (2-Pack) - Newegg.com  

Splitter: Black Net Jacket Sleeved 6 inch 1 to 2 Motherboard PWM Fan 4-pin Power Splitter Hub Adapter Cable - Newegg.com 

Would I still need the molex splitter you listed above?

I may do this upgrade first, as it's the cheapest. Then, soon try to pull the trigger on the upgraded power supply and then  liquid coolers for both systems. 

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

the fan holder bracket, the top / bottom 'clip on' latches, the fan frame (like ML120) has to be suitable in order for them to attach or clip into place.  I can't tell from the pic if they'll clip into place or not, Kane, you may not know that til they get there. A razorblabe might help mod them in, such is life

Youtube search = Alienware Area-51 R2: Upgrade/Replace Top Fan   

No Events found!