Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 28th, 2010 20:00

Dell DataSafe Local Backup Question (M15x)

Hi Everyone,

I have an M15x that I purchased/recived in Dec 2009, configured with a Blu-Ray drive.  Since getting my lapop, it has had two motherboard replacements, and numerous factory restores since I got it.  When I configured/ordered my M15x, there was no option for Alien Respawn, and my system restore is provided by Dell DataSafe Local Backup.  I can initiate a restore from within in Windows using the Start menu, or from the F8 boot menu (go to Advanced options).  So, this ability to restore to factory settings from the restore partition is a feature I would like to keep.  However, the run-time client for this program seems to access the disk drives (both optical and physical) approximatley every 60 seconds, which results in a predictiable pause during Blu-Ray playback.  If I use Task Manager to end the 'STservice.exe' service, the polling ends, and the movie no longer skips.  From what I understand, this service belongs to Dell DataSafe Local Backup.  The only thing I use this Dell application for is system restore, as I do not use it for Backup purposes (I have a Windows Home Server for that ). 

After all of that background information, I can finally get to my question.  If I use Add/Remove programs to remove Dell DataSafe Local Backup, will I lose the abilitiy to restore my computer?  I do know that I can dump the restore partition to blank DVDs, but that is time consuming and I prefer the current restore method.  I do not want to uninstall this program, only to find out that I lose access to my recovery partition.  A related question, does someone know how to disable the STService.exe service, as I can't find it listed in the services control panel, nor usign MSConfig.  Just disabling that service from automaticaly starting would also fix these issues.  Thanks in advance!

Rich S.

76 Posts

March 8th, 2010 01:00

Yup, I did it on mine just last week. I had uninstalled Dell Datasafe but wanted to wipe my system back to how it was when I first recieved it from Dell. Went into bios and then to system restore and the Dell Datasafe option was still there. It formatted my harddrive and re-installed all the original programs no problem.

76 Posts

February 28th, 2010 21:00

I also had the problem with Blu Ray playback and Dell Data Safe on my replacement system. On my original system I was able to disable it from start-up by using msconfig, but on this system I was un-able to do that. I ended up just un-installing it.

Also, why not just use the system restore that is built into Windows 7?

43 Posts

March 5th, 2010 22:00

Hi Yodamaster,

So, if I uninstall Dell DataSafe Local Backup from Add/Remove programs, I will stil be able to access restore from the Windows 7 boot menu?  That is what I would like to know, as that is all I need.  I don't actually use any of the features from within Windows.  Thanks!

Rich S.

43 Posts

March 8th, 2010 15:00

Hi Youdamaster,

Thanks.  It worked, I uninstalled Dell DataSafe Local Backup, and it is still available for restores from the Boot menu.  That is too cool.   Thanks!

Rich S.

No Events found!