Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

April 15th, 2012 23:00

Diablo 3 on Alienware m17xR3 with 6990m - Not supported

I am in the Diablo 3 beta and the game is due to release in a few weeks. I have an Alienware m17xR3 and currently the game posts an notification on start up that the Radeon 6990m drivers are out of date causing reduced game performance. It suggests contacting the manufacturer for a driver update.

I am running the latest video driver off the Dell/Alienware website but it is from mid last year, is there plans to release a new Radeon driver or remove the limitation on updating driver directly from the AMD website?

15 Posts

April 20th, 2012 22:00

Link on that page is broken ;( Had my hopes up...been waiting for a new driver from Dell for a long...long time.

67 Posts

April 21st, 2012 04:00

my next Laptop will be an origin pc cause they also use the native drivers for there laptops..so then we wouldn't have to wait for dells drivers

3 Posts

April 21st, 2012 15:00

I don't have those options on the A08 bios.

9 Posts

April 21st, 2012 17:00

Have you updated the video bios on your cards? Check the downloads are for your system and see if it's available.  After doing that with my M17xR3, I was then able to update my 580m with the latest nvidia drivers.  Dell is TERRIBLE about updating their video drivers for their gaming systems, which is so sad it's not funny.  

15 Posts

April 21st, 2012 22:00

What do you mean updating the video bios? Are you talking the normal bios update or something different?

17 Posts

April 21st, 2012 22:00

I have bios version A09 and it doesn't have an option to force the display to use intergrated or discreet graphics. You have to use the driver software to enable the discreet graphics card.

I used the DirectX web installer to get all the DirectX updates :)

The AMD Radeon 6990m does not have any video bios updates, the ones on the Alienware driver page are for Nvidia cards only. I haven't noticed any issues with the current video bios or heard of any bios updates for this type or card from other manufacturers so I think the current bios is pretty stable. There are no issues with throttling, overheating or noise.

I have found now if you unpack the Alienware driver and the latest AMD driver you can overwrite the driver files under the packages folder with the new driver files. If you then install the unpacked Alienware driver it installs fine giving you the Catalyst 12.3 driver. The Alienware version of the Catalyst Control Centre no longer allows you to change any options and switchable graphics no longer works (you will be stuck on discreet) but the seems to be a way of updating if all else fails.

Unfortunately I need to use the switchable graphics for extra battery life when I am working remotely so this isn't an option for me.

Now Alienware are bringing out the Radeon 7970m I think that might give us a newer driver to work with :)

(P.S. Does anyone know if we can buy the video cards seperately from Dell and upgrade the R3's to the new cards?)

9 Posts

April 22nd, 2012 08:00

Starry, if you go to your driver download page, under the video section you may see the video bios updates. But like Mangonz said, there are none for the AMD cards (nvidia only), sorry, I thought I saw one listed yesterday when I was hunting for something else :(  

11 Posts

April 30th, 2012 11:00

Hi there, HD3000 driver is kind of not on the intel page anymore... I will keep trying different things, but it just looks like Alien is too slow to keep up with the driver market, 12.4 is already out...

Next gaming laptop, definitively not alien anymore, hardware is top of class but drivers are a must nowadays, I am sorry nice alien :(

11 Posts

April 30th, 2012 11:00

Hello Chris,

I tried this and I see no place on the advanced tab where you can set your primary display driver, it is only mentioned on the main page, but no configuration anywhere on the bios.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 2nd, 2012 09:00

On the Main screen, what do you see by Discrete Graphics 1? On the Advanced screen, what options do you have by Primary Display?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 2nd, 2012 11:00

List everything on the Advanced tab.

11 Posts

May 2nd, 2012 11:00

Hello Chris,

On the Main tab on Discrete 1 I have ATI GFX, There is no mention of Primary display at all on the Advanced tab.

11 Posts

May 6th, 2012 09:00

Hello Chris,

This is what I have on Advanced:

Intel(R) SpeedStep

Virtualization

USB Emulation

USB Wake Support

USB Powershare

Integrated Network

High Definition Audio

SD Card Reader

CPU Turbo Mode

Performance Options Menu

Inside is OverClocking Feature

SATA Operation

SATA HD1

SATA HD2

Adapter Warnings

Charger Behavior

There is nothing else, no scrolling anyware...

11 Posts

May 6th, 2012 10:00

I was on A08 of bios and now updated to A10 and still the same options

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 6th, 2012 15:00

I can only pull a picture of the A00. It list Discrete Graphics 1.

0523.M17xR3Advanced.jpg

No Events found!