Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 7th, 2012 12:00

Do Alienware M17x R4's come with the secondary HDD caddy and interposer?

Quick question, I have an M17x R4 purchased in June (UK)

Does it come with the secondary hard drive caddy + interposer from the factory? I'll be putting in a second drive soon and I haven't had chance to pop the case to have a look, and thought I'd ask if anyone knew off hand?

Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

278 Posts

November 8th, 2012 12:00

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I am slightly confused as there seems to be bit of a conflict regarding the additional caddy/interposer. Looking on the official Alienware YouTube site, there is a tear down video for replacing/adding hard drives:

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfVb8xYuCMA]

The same question was asked and the official response was that it does indeed come with them.

If this isn't the case, where do I purchase the second caddy + interposer? Is there an additional cost?

When I have time I will confirm if my unit did come with the said additional parts, but until then I wasn't sure.

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

278 Posts

November 10th, 2012 04:00

Interestingly I got some time over the weekend to open my M17x R4 and to my surprise both the caddy and interposer were both there already. The caddy was in its slot and the interposer was encased in a protective rubber housing.

So it seems despite the original order being a single disk, the guy at the Alienware factory in China was nice enough to put them in!

Kudos!

November 8th, 2012 10:00

Hi,

The Alienware M17x R4 has a secondary HDD slot however; it doesn’t come with a caddy or the interposer. You may have to purchase them along with hard drive.

Please find below the link for the service manual of Alienware M17x R4, you may refer to the same if required.

support.dell.com/.../om_en.pdf

I hope this helps. Please do write back in case you need any further assistance.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 8th, 2012 16:00

James2k,

None of the previous Alienware laptops came with the secondary caddy/interposer unless you ordered a 2nd hard disk drive at the time of purchase.

M17x-R3/R4 6H7T5 Secondary Hard Disk Drive Service Kit (Bracket, Interposer, Screws)
http://www.impactcomputers.com/6h7t5.html

1 Rookie

• 

278 Posts

November 9th, 2012 05:00

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the clarification it makes more sense now and explains the conflicting information. My original order was with 1x 500 GB Hard Drive so I won't have the caddy & interposer. Thanks for providing a link to where I can purchase it.

Thanks

12 Posts

January 15th, 2013 06:00

Hi Chris is Dell not selling this part? I bougth mine from you guy for 14 dollars and now you are showing a none dell page that dobles the price for this kit.

Here is the information from my purchase if some one needs one

6H7T5 1 Assembly,Bracket,HDD,Second,M17XR3 $6.99

Please let me know if dell is not selling this no more since I will be upgrading to a R4 very soon and I will need this part again.

Thanks

1 Message

February 4th, 2013 06:00

Hello guys, I recently received my M17x R4 and it came with a secondary HDDCaddy and Interposer even though I only ordered one 500GB HDD.

Just thought I'd let you guys know.

1 Message

March 18th, 2015 13:00

Are there any links or screenshots of this.  I was totally prepared and ready to upgrade to my SSD drive but now i cant install the 2ndary hard drive since i cant find the Interposer.  The HDD Caddy was there but no screws to mount the hard drive into the caddy.

Anyone know where this "hidden" interposer is and where i can get some small screws while I am at it!

No Events found!