Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 6th, 2014 14:00

Failed install a11 bios update?

I'm literally tearing my hair out with worry. I updated the bios to A11 on the aurora r4, i got the successful install message and my computer shut down. tried to start it back up and it will only let me start in safe mode, it looks like all my files are still there but it is not recognising my drivers im currently reinstalling them in safe mode but im not hopeful. please help. asap. thanks

96 Posts

May 7th, 2014 07:00

first of all let me thank everyone who has posted a suggestion. turning my computer on this afternoon and it seems to be running ok, like its fixed itsself, because i sure as hell didnt do anything other than drain the power from the unit after i gave up last night. so fingers crossed the <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU>thing is ok. thanks again for all the advise

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

I do not own an Aurora, nor do I know if this suggestion will help, since I have not experienced your "safe mode only" issue. However, it is possible that the bios update made all bios settings revert to "default" settings. If you can access your bios, check to make sure your sata controller is set to "ahci" mode ... if it is already set to ahci, then I can not help any further at the moment (must be somewhere soon) ... & hopefully someone else can offer advice.

96 Posts

ok finished installing the drivers and still nothing, now its telling me my desktop is in an unknown location. i dont have the internet or access to anything. please please can someone advise me?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 6th, 2014 15:00

Next time you are in SafeMode, be sure your vital data-files are backed-up ... sounds like you are heading towards a Dell Factory Recovery or Windows Clean Install.

Remember, you can Windows System Restore (the lite fix) from SafeMode and even from Command Prompt.

Like Cass says, be sure to check BIOS options since this all started with a firmware upgrade.

96 Posts

May 6th, 2014 18:00

*update* sorry for delay in replying. i can get into windows after a twenty minute log on, which takes me to a very basic desktop full of error messages and warnings, no icons no access to files just programs. i then happened to try logging off and back on again which brought me to what appears to be my actual desktop with access to most things, giving me the ability to back up my files (which is what i have been doing these last few hours) however i have tried restarting the computer and had to go through the whole process of logging on, logging off and then back on again. it seems as though it doesn't recognise my user account the first time i log on after a restart. going to try suggestions posted above, thank you for reading i will keep posting until I'm fixed, hopefully someone can help me out. 

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

May 6th, 2014 19:00

I haven't had to do a "clean boot" in Windows yet, but I do keep this link handy just in case. I am not saying this will help, but I have seen it suggested from the Dell/A-ware staff in this forum from time to time. It is supposed to help with/solve/diagnose software conflicts. It may be a waste of time, I would apologize if it is, but it is a recommended troubleshototing step. You may want to try it as a last resort, after reading up on it 1st to understand what it is & what it does:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

This Microsoft page has many many drop down boxes, these would be of use to you, probably the whole page, but do find these paragraphs to initiate clean boot & get out of clean boot ... good luck! 

How to determine what is causing the problem by performing a clean boot

Video: How to do a clean boot in Windows

How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting

No Events found!